manual behind 87 3.8 question.

exodus

turbo apprentice
For a conversion project...wondering if you would have to have the crank milled for a pilot bearing or if there is an aftermarket crank that has the provision?

If it's a RWD crank it's already made for a pilot bushing. Don't use a bearing. They have a high failure rate from when I've used them years ago.

Ok thanks...just wasn't sure if the stock cranks had the provision or not. I was blanking on using a bushing.

Charlie speaks the truth, I've seen more costly damage from a failed "pilot" bearing than any bushing ever thought of.
Main causes for either can be traced to alignment or excess heat issues, at least the bushing in worst case's "gives up" and saves the input gear nose(tit) from getting scored/chewed up needing replacement, and people think 200-4R parts are expensive....wait until you need some countershafts for a stick shift.
Good luck,

Kevin.

The Bronze bushings are "self lubricating" and the bearings are lubed, but the little seal on the end does allow clutch dust in and eventually that bearing seizes and it will gall up the input shaft. DON'T use the stainless steel bushings either. Been thru that with a 6 speed Camaro. It was part of the guy's kit and within 3 months it was totally messed up. The company who sent him the clutch kit paid for the new parts and sent him a bronze bushing. Of course they didn't pay labor.