Making the GN Right

1st thing that jumps out is the timing chain tensioner. It's not suppose to be there. It gets deleted when using a double roller chain. Lucky it's still intact. They usually get mangled when used on a double roller chain.
Rick
I hear this statement a lot but it has not been my experience. I used a tensioner/damper on a double roller chain in an engine for my '87 GN I built back in '94 "before I knew any better". I was really concerned about it after reading all the "bad" things on this site about using one with a double roller. I tore the engine down last year to do upgrades (roller cam, ported heads/manifold) with the engine having just under 50K miles on it. The tensioner looked almost like the day I put it in. It had very little wear on it. So I'm thinking there has to be another reason why people are "mangling" the tensioners. I still use them in my engines. It keeps the chain from "whipping" when they start to stretch and loosen up a bit. Maybe the type of oil being used?

Been a while but I finally got a few hours out in the garage. The engine is now sealed up. Time to focus on the engine bay.
4f6d63e1f785b7bc7263f107f4bb469e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice. Did you end up doing head gaskets?

I hear this statement a lot but it has not been my experience. I used a tensioner/damper on a double roller chain in an engine for my '87 GN I built back in '94 "before I knew any better". I was really concerned about it after reading all the "bad" things on this site about using one with a double roller. I tore the engine down last year to do upgrades (roller cam, ported heads/manifold) with the engine having just under 50K miles on it. The tensioner looked almost like the day I put it in. It had very little wear on it. So I'm thinking there has to be another reason why people are "mangling" the tensioners. I still use them in my engines. It keeps the chain from "whipping" when they start to stretch and loosen up a bit. Maybe the type of oil being used?

You can't use a tentioner on a chain that has 'dogbone' shaped links. If the outside of the chain is smooth like on this engine it won't hammer the plastic foot to death.

[img[https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170130/1a8278f27822f60790e54c570f4abc49.jpg[/img]

Are you going to get rid of the old valve covers?.... and will they clear roller rockers? :)

Also, that's not an ATR ram air. If so, it would have Applied Technologies embossed across the top and house a larger 14" filter.

Looks nice. Did you end up doing head gaskets?

No, I thought they were leaking oil externally but there is no way they could in the location I found the oil. It must have been residual from the valve covers leaking.
I checked for blown head gaskets while the car was still running and all checked good.
Hopefully not a mistake.

You can't use a tentioner on a chain that has 'dogbone' shaped links. If the outside of the chain is smooth like on this engine it won't hammer the plastic foot to death.

[img[https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170130/1a8278f27822f60790e54c570f4abc49.jpg[/img]

Are you going to get rid of the old valve covers?.... and will they clear roller rockers? :)

Also, that's not an ATR ram air. If so, it would have Applied Technologies embossed across the top and house a larger 14" filter.

Sorry already sold the valve covers ..... and yes they cleared roller rockers.

Here is a picture of the tensioner in a motor I built in '94. The motor had 51,000 miles on it when I pulled it to do upgrades. The tensioner had almost no wear on it. P1010120.JPG