Making a IC scoop...

veedubcrazy

Just as the title says, I would like to make an IC scoop. The one on the '87 TR is shot and I would like to get it replaced. I did a search but did not really turn up much except IC scoops and related topics. Are there plans on how to make on in here on the web or am I on my own...???...

Picture161.jpg

Thanx... Dave

One that worked awesome for me is you take a small plastic garbage can but it in half and zip tie it to the air dam. That way if you keep the bottom of the trash can on the air gets sucked in and up into the intercooler. Cheap, easy, and cool lookin

Cardboard, fiberglass, and creativity:biggrin: I have a thread in the fab forum, but I already had a good base to work with.

If I can get the right materials, I will try to fab one up in aluminum or very thin sheet metal. Provided I get the right angles...

Thanx...:)

One that worked awesome for me is you take a small plastic garbage can cut it in half and zip tie it to the air dam. That way if you keep the bottom of the trash can on the air gets sucked in and up into the intercooler. Cheap, easy, and cool lookin

That's what I did for a scoop on my LC2 Iroc, seemed to work fine. Had a friend that was real creative with aluminum angle brackets and plexiglass, made for a great looking scoop, his speed shop was homedepot:D

I doubt this is what you're looking for... but it might help give you ideas...

This applies mostly to cars with a front mount... and helps direct air into the radiator when cruising down the highway. It makes a HUGE difference in temps.

I just cut and bent a piece of sheetmetal to fit between the factory air dams. There are 2 holes already in the rad support... so I only needed to drill 2 holes in the sides of the air dams to attach it.

DSC069043.jpg

DSC069053.jpg

How appropriate- Just today I installed the intercooler scoop that I bought from Kirban's. Cost me about $50 for the scoop and $15 for a pop rivet tool and rivets-washers.

I removed what was left of the original scoop by drilling out the rivets, then drilled rivet holes in the fiberglass Kirban's scoop, and finally I pop riveted it on. Quick and easy- Took me about 20 minutes to install it once I had the intercooler shroud off. It looks great and should be much more durable than the factory plastic & rubber scoop.

FWIW,
John

I need to take a better pic. But you can see my scoop hanging down in the front. Its a black Rubbermaid trash can cut in half. As a previous member described...they work well. My wife still doesnt know where that kitchen trash can went.:D

Attachments

• side%20shot.JPG
    side%20shot.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 356

This applies mostly to cars with a front mount... and helps direct air into the radiator when cruising down the highway. It makes a HUGE difference in temps.

I just cut and bent a piece of sheetmetal to fit between the factory air dams. There are 2 holes already in the rad support... so I only needed to drill 2 holes in the sides of the air dams to attach it.

DSC069043.jpg

DSC069053.jpg

I need to try this my car gets pretty hot with the front mount.

87NAT - you got any better pics? Cool idea!

I can shoot some this weekend if the weather is nice and I take it out of the garage. I have a stretch stock location IC so this homemade scoop works well. It fits right into the sheetmetal shroud that came with the IC.

It looks real nasty when you are going down the road. I could probably scoop up some small animals or children in it.:eek: :D

DSC069043.jpg

DSC069053.jpg
I want see how you attached this and what is it a piece of sheet metal?

IC shroud

i have the same issue, the factory one is shot. Now i did take auto body class way back in HS and we did a floor pan from fiberglass. IT was simple and since we didn't need a mold we could use boxes and stuff to form it as the fiberglass hardened. I was considering doing this and maybe making 2-3 of them for future use just in case. Just wanted to ask any thoughts on that? i've done alot of body work and know how to use fiberglass but have only done fiberglass a hand full of times. I know it shouldn't be that hard and i'll have a solid piece ready to install once i drill out the hole for the rivets or nuts and bolts once i get ready to install it. The fiber glass is easy to cut once it's hardened so you can get it to what form you want. So any thoughts?