Make your on alky

it's all fun and games until the feds knock down your door for not paying the fuel taxes..

and if you want to know how to make some cheap ethanol, just head to the hills of Kentucky and befriend a moonshiner. they've been making the stuff for a couple of hundred years now.

My college proffessor got busted in the late eighties for making his own alcohol fuel. He had one of those little 4 cyl. challengers with over 180k on it . It ran every mile on his fuel he made in his yard out of garbage! They fined him and took his homemade still. Big Brother is always watching!

Yes, you do have to get permits to do this, and I'm sure they check you out. I just wondering how it works, and what the real cost per gallon is. I'm sure it more than a dollar a gallon.

The last time I heard, I think it costs in the neighborhood of $2.25 a gallon to make fuel grade ethanol yourself. And yes, a moonshine still with the ingredients slightly modified will produce ethanol...or so I've been told :cool:

A couple of years ago the local news channel told a story of a man in Burley, Id. of collecting cooking oils and making and using bio-diesel for his MB diesel car, well about two-three weeks later here come da feds, they were wanting their money for road and fuel tax, he said in the Boise paper later that he wished that it never made the news.

Ron

if you are gonna make your own ethanol for fuel, don't go bragging about it. just make it and use it, and no one has to know that you are weaseling out of your share of fuel taxes.

All you need is the permits from the gov, they will allow you to make like 5000 gallons a YEAR legally. Granted, diff department, there is no stipulations on where or what you use it for. As long as you aren't drinking it. So what else would you use it for? Sounds like nasty lawsuit....

The gov has that sort of money to search out and worry about people like this???

All you need is the permits from the gov, they will allow you to make like 5000 gallons a YEAR legally. Granted, diff department, there is no stipulations on where or what you use it for. As long as you aren't drinking it. So what else would you use it for? Sounds like nasty lawsuit....

The gov has that sort of money to search out and worry about people like this???

Haven't you ever heard of them spending thousands to catch someone who owes hundreds? Makes perfect sense to me! :confused:

Sounds like we need to put in some laws on the books to PREVENT this sort of thing. If it costs one dime more to investigate than you will actually GET, they aren't allowed to pursue. For some things at least, like piddly stuff like road taxes and fuel. They will never get enough from one person to make any difference in anything, so legally they should be prevented from trying.

Last time I checked, the Constitution started off with "WE THE PEOPLE...", CLEARLY indicating the powers given to our government come from US, the PEOPLE.

The Constitution of the United States of America

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

LII: Constitution

EVERYONE needs to read and understand this....

I was looking into it, if I had some land and an outbuilding I would, but not in my garage, but library is full of books on how to. Most are older, but that is ok, alky hasn't changed. Even books on how to from the Feds. It isn't a secret at all.

35 gallons a WEEK. And 3kw/hr per gallon of electricity. Can't see this thing being very cost effective to run. Not at all considering the $10K cash outlay to get one....

But it is the right idea, I have a 454 Suburban as the familiy truckster, it uses around 40 gallons every 2-3 weeks and my daily driver, a 3800 SC that I use around 35-40 gallons a week on. So I would need 2 machines to cover me or buy gas to supplement....

Making your own stil costs around $100, and you can use wood to heat it, or if you are creative, use the ethanol to heat it, you can make 55 gallons ever few days. But note, it takes a ratio of 10:1 water/ethanol too. And a bushel of corn only makes 5 or so gallons, so you end up being a busy camper.... This claims less water, but I haven't seen hard core data showing it takes less than 10:1.

EFuel100, Earth's First Home Ethanol System, a Product of E-Fuel Corporation

This link is a turn key operation. I just don't see how they can make it as cheap as they say thay can.

Does anyone know why it takes so much water?
Conrad C.

From what I understand this system uses sugar, water and yeast. I really don't know why so much water.