Make it easy for me!

TurboChris87

NCSU Go Pack!
I just got a 1997 Park Avenue as a daily driver..I have a 10 I want to put in it...what's the easiest way to put it into the factory HU and speaker system with one amp? What cheap, effective amp would you recommend? And how would I wire it? Thanks.

LOC

Try a Line Output Converter from davidnavone.com .

If you plan on ever installing an aftermarket head unit install the LOC up by the head unit so when you put in a aftermarket unit you just have to swap the RCA's onto the new units preamp outputs...

or...

David Navone:
If there is a question of noise in a system, it's better to run as "hot" a signal as possible for as long as possible. This means that the speaker level signal should be run all the way to the input of the following stage. The LOC can be placed there.

As for a suitable amp, get one that has more than enough power to supply your exisiting 10". You can find amps for sale on Ebay if you want to go the "used" route, or try some online vendors (thezeb.com, carmedia1.com, vanns.com among others).

As for the amp power wiring, you'll need to run a wire from the positive battery post to the amp, You will also need a fuse place within 10" from the battery post in-line with the amp power wire.

Your amp ground should be run to chassis ground. If the car doesn't have a good frame ground, try finding a section of sheetmetal where you can attach a nut and bolt to hold a ring terminal for the ground wire. Grind down to bare metal and use star washers to secure the ground.

With the LOC, you can run it to a 6 channel amp with 2 to the front, 2 to the rear and the other 2 bridged to the single 10" sub. Depending on what 6 channel you buy, it should have the built in X-over. if not, then you can run the amp full range and run caps and coils to your drivers.

You can run 1 amp for everything but then you are limited to driver control.

Ok, just got the motor in the park avenue. Found out that it will play CD-R's, so I'm going to leave the GM HU in it. should I just splice off of one of the trunk speakers for a LOC? That way the speaker wire will be run to the HU instead of of patch cables. Did I understand it right that the "hot" lines should be the speaker wire? This looks to be an easy task with the location of the rear speakers in this HUGE trunk. Thanks.

Originally posted by TurboChris87
should I just splice off of one of the trunk speakers for a LOC? That way the speaker wire will be run to the HU instead of of patch cables. Did I understand it right that the "hot" lines should be the speaker wire?

You can use the rear speaker wires to tie in a LOC and then use a patch cord to feed the amp signal. Make sure that you know which wires are + and - for the LOC or you will have "out of phase" problems with your drivers and will make for distorted sound.