MAF sensor screens - And idle problem

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
O.K. , I suppose I'm finally going to post this up, but if anyone calls me a dummy I'm going to call my Mommy and cry. Upon reading many things about how I can get 75 additional horsepower (lol), from removing the screens from my MAF sensor, I took my knife and went at it. It only had one screen in it at the time, so I carefully removed it and reinstalled the unit. Immediately I've got a rough idle and an off idle stumble, RATS! So, is there something else I should have done as well, like reset the thing-a-ma-chiger or whatever. Or could it be that I've totally messed up and now I need a Translator Plus? Comments? - BB
:confused:

sounds like you messed it up bad. they say not to remove both screens but removing one is ok. and that removing both causes problems. my maf came with only one screen so im not gonna mess with it. sounds like instead of 75 HP you got yourself a good excuse to upgrade your MAF, LOL:)

Originally posted by Buick Beginner
O.K. , I suppose I'm finally going to post this up, but if anyone calls me a dummy I'm going to call my Mommy and cry. Upon reading many things about how I can get 75 additional horsepower (lol), from removing the screens from my MAF sensor, I took my knife and went at it. It only had one screen in it at the time, so I carefully removed it and reinstalled the unit. Immediately I've got a rough idle and an off idle stumble, RATS! So, is there something else I should have done as well, like reset the thing-a-ma-chiger or whatever. Or could it be that I've totally messed up and now I need a Translator Plus? Comments? - BB
:confused:

Anything that says, you can pick up 300HP for 43 cents is probably going to be wrong.

After several weeks of working out how the MAF calibration stuff works in the code, I pulled the screen out of my MAF (I'm using a LT1 MAF/Translator, blow thru). Now after a week of trying several dozen proms, I again have things right. But, it was alot of work. And I short cut the system by using a WB to tune things.

The best documented gains are of about a 30HP gain, ONCE RECALIBRATED. Or if someone was converting to a MAP system and was deleting it.

Might as well bite the bullet now, and get a Translator Plus and LT1 MAF, IMO.

I had the same problem when removing the screens. Just re-install and all should be well.

I've got some spare screens

So you think that if I take a spare screen, (got a bad MAF sensor with good screens lying around), that I could just reinstall the screens and problem fixed? Seems to simple. - BB

you could try to put them back in just make sure they cant get sucked into the turbo. that would be more expensive than a new MAF! why dont you get a ls1 MAF? its bigger and also needs a translator. i would do it if i were you but that just me. you probably would need a bigger MAF pipe so it would be extra and lT1 MAF's are probably easier to find.:)

Tom, give me a call this week-I've got an extra MAF to get you by with for now.

What did you do, throw the screen away? I took mine off the stocker, it ran like crap, and I put it back on and everything was the same again. Dont forget there is a ring that goes on the outside of the screen to hold it in.

1. Well, you can put the screen back in...I am sure one of us can give you a retaining ring if you broke yours

2. Buy a conventional chip that has been calibrated for "no screens"

3. Buy a MaxEffort that routinely uses no screens and go faster.

No need to get desperate and spend a lot of money to get back to where you were. :)

You could put a *light* coat of clear epoxy in the area where the screen seats to retain it.Been there,done that.:)

When I removed mine and put a MAF pipe and a Cone filter on the TTA I noticed a big difference in HP. All of the sudden tires started breaking lose at 20mph(still on the original Gator backs from 89).
Anyways it goes back to the some cars show gains others don't. Know I am on stock everything except for the above mentioned.
I also did this on my old 86TPI. I think at most I saw a 5hp improvement form it at any point. True it does help air flow some, but not that much. I know TPIS did a test on one with back to back runs in a 305TPI and netted a .05 sec difference, but if you think about it that is half wat to a tenth for free!

Commited Murder

Well, gentlemen I'll tell you. When I removed the screen I butchered it beyond recognition, sorry. I've got a spare MAF sensor off a NA 3.8 Buick and was hoping the screens would interchange. I'll probably take a look-see here in the next day or two, (Thanks to Lee for the loaner MAF Sensor while I figure out what I'm doing). Now, Steve, you've got me interested in "non-screen" alternatives. What is this Max Effort thing? - BB;)

The MaxEffort is an user programmable thumbwheel chip that is the King of Chips.

http://members.tripod.com/turboracer/maxeffort/

Expensive and for the more experienced user if one wants to get all possible performance out of a combination tho it normally works excellently on the programmed defaults.

It can be used with oem maf with no screens, with the oem maf with no screens and no venturi cone, or with the various Translators and a LT1/LS1 late model maf.

I suspect I have a spare screen or so out in the garage as none of my cars use them. If the na screens are different, let me know and I will give you one....I am packing up to move tho so it will be too late after Wednesday. :)

Originally posted by Steve Wood
2. Buy a conventional chip that has been calibrated for "no screens"

Now this I'd like to see.
Who is selling one?.
For the right price, I'd buy one just to see this CALIBRATION.