MAF mayhem -- what do you get?

jiho2

Sporadic Poster
My own case involves an '84 Hot Air motor, but I think the issues here are general enough.

So I have all the air tubing and cleaner box parts, but no MAF. I study the market online, because local stores don't stock. I notice RockAuto has a "wholesaler closeout" on a reman by Standard "in house label packaging". Only 30-odd bucks. My fingers itch, my palms sweat.

It just arrived, and the house label is CarQuest. It's shaped exactly like the Wells/Airtex aftermarket units (see 1st photo). But note the logo (see 2nd photo). The screen on this type looks much smaller than any other I've seen, and I doubt I could transfer it to any other type (see 3rd photo).

Now for a little game. What's missing (see 4th photo)?

I'm in California and I have to get this thing past a referee, let alone past smog, so I can't fool around a whole lot even if I wanted to.

So .... what experiences have people had buying these things in the aftermarket? Do the other remans come with screens?

Does anybody know if AC Delco ever sold one that looks anything like this for any of these cars?

--Jim Howard

Attachments

• dsc00419.jpg
    dsc00419.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 213
  • dsc00420.jpg
    dsc00420.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 198
  • dsc00421.jpg
    dsc00421.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 217
  • dsc00422.jpg
    dsc00422.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 208
The only reason I knew is because I had just finished installing mine about and hour earlier.

Is yours a more typical remanufactured unit? If so, what brand and did it come with a screen?

This one, the inside diameter at that wasp-waist appears to be roughly 45 mm.

--Jim Howard

I don't know about any of you, but every time I look at those pictures I'm cracking up.

But I really am looking for other experiences buying these things, compared to mine, because I'm going to be out there shopping for another one. What did you get? Did it come with a screen? (AC Delco's online photos don't show a screen, nor do some others.)

As for this design, it seems like it might be a little restrictive but might do a more accurate job sampling the flow it has. Which might actually help me at smog time, if I could figure out how to install it so it looks halfway believable.

--Jim Howard

As I type, several dozen people have looked at this thread, and not a single one has stepped forward with any useful info. Now the thread will quickly sink into the pile and be forgotten. Thanks bros!

Right now the good news is, RockAuto has an excellent return policy (overlooking the fact that I may get stuck with shipping charges).

--Jim Howard

Most people with 86/87 cars that have had a MAF die end up doing one of a few things.

1. They score a NOS MAF for lots of money, but they know it will work.
  2. They buy a rebuilt MAF from a vendor (like Kirban) that is guaranteed calibrated for the TR for a significant amount of money.
  3. They play the luck of the draw and buy remanufactured MAFs (like Micro-Tech) from the parts store and hope for the best, being prepared to exchange for one that reads correctly.
  4. They buy a MAF translator with an LT1/LS1 MAF and don't look back.

Does this help your 84? Probably not ... I am just listing the options in general. :) All of the pics of remans didn't have screens, at least from what I have seen. Sorry you didn't get much help, but if you get discouraged that fast, TR ownership will kill you. ;)
You might also want to try the hot air forum.

Is yours a more typical remanufactured unit? If so, what brand and did it come with a screen?

This one, the inside diameter at that wasp-waist appears to be roughly 45 mm.

--Jim Howard

I am still using the original unit that came on the car when I bought it.

I think I would use the LT1 unit and a translator if mine went bad.

All of the pics of remans didn't have screens, at least from what I have seen.

But do the remans that people actually GET have screens? Regardless of what the pictures show?

This Standard reman was ordered from an online listing that included Standard's stock photo, which looks nothing like this thing, it looks just like the original, mounting holes and all. In other words, the pics don't say much.

Oddly enough, Standard's pic for their '85 MAF does show a screen (the only one I've seen that does), and looks like the original except a lot shorter.

--Jim Howard

Sorry you didn't get much help, but if you get discouraged that fast, TR ownership will kill you. ;)

Maybe I'm not getting much help because not many people have had occasion to replace their MAF. Are they more reliable than I think?

You read all kinds of stories, where people remove the screen and/or install an oil-impregnated air filter.

Anyway, not so much discouraged as trying a little psychology....

You might also want to try the hot air forum.

Funny, I thought this was the hot air forum. :D

But no, that occured to me. Maybe the earlier MAFs aren't as reliable.

I've always wondered why the '84 and '85 continued getting different MAFs. If the '85 was an improvement, why not apply it to the '84 as well? Otherwise the motors are the same.

--Jim Howard

My own case involves an '84 Hot Air motor, but I think the issues here are general enough.

So I have all the air tubing and cleaner box parts, but no MAF. I study the market online, because local stores don't stock. I notice RockAuto has a "wholesaler closeout" on a reman by Standard "in house label packaging". Only 30-odd bucks. My fingers itch, my palms sweat.

It just arrived, and the house label is CarQuest. It's shaped exactly like the Wells/Airtex aftermarket units (see 1st photo). But note the logo (see 2nd photo). The screen on this type looks much smaller than any other I've seen, and I doubt I could transfer it to any other type (see 3rd photo).

Now for a little game. What's missing (see 4th photo)?

I'm in California and I have to get this thing past a referee, let alone past smog, so I can't fool around a whole lot even if I wanted to.

So .... what experiences have people had buying these things in the aftermarket? Do the other remans come with screens?

Does anybody know if AC Delco ever sold one that looks anything like this for any of these cars?

--Jim Howard

Usually its hard to get one that works 100%.

The last carquest one I had to replace because it would not go any higher than 90g. Ended up getting a good used acdelco one from a friend.

I hear the way to go is to convert to an 87 ecm, maf and coilpack/module. You then have more options for maf's.

HTH

I hear the way to go is to convert to an 87 ecm, maf and coilpack/module. You then have more options for maf's.

I need to keep this thing stock. I'm in California, and it has to be certified and smogged. (Just as well, as I'm not eager to blow holes in my pistons.)

But that may be the main reason I'm not getting much help -- people lack experiences in keeping theirs stock, so to speak. And by the looks of it that would be just as true on the hot air forum.

--Jim Howard

Yes, they all should have screens in them. There should actually be two screens, one on top of the other. Some chip burners write their programs with the recommendation that you leave one screen in them because it helps to straighten air flow as opposed to removing them both. The case you have is not right for a TR, looks like probably a series II n/a case. What happens is that they rebuild what-ever core they have but with a sensor board that is supposed to be compatible with the application.
That being said, it should work okay for emissions testing but due to the necked down area, it will not flow as much as a correct housing will and depending on how stout your car is it may not perform the best. One possible option is to upgrade your car to '87 specs. If you have all of the parts from the '87 set-up it should be legal due to being "newer" emissions standards than what the car came with from the factory. It is still very rare to find a correct TR housing on a reman though, even for the '87 cars. Another option is that you could hog out one and go for a mafless set-up with some carefully hidden electronics.