MAF from Autozone

Mike70gtx

My maf #'s are not going any higher than 150-160. So I bought a remanufactured maf sensor from Autozone for my 84. It would hardly run over 2000 rpm. We sent that back and tried another with the same results. These were remanufactured by Cardone, I Believe. So I went to Advance Auto Parts and tried the new one by microtech. It would hardly idle (looked like it was running super rich. All of these had a little different design. The air flow area didn't seem as large. The module that the wires connected to was smaller and the connector was perpendicular to the flow of the air and mine in horizontal. I'm sure mine is stock. Do these part store ones not work? Where can I find one? Should I just convert to 87 ecm?
Thanks again for any advice.

when i was faced with this situation i swapped to the 87 ecm and translator+/lt1 maf.

later,sean

Sean,
I've really been leaning toward going 87 conversion. Any recommendations where to get what. Do I do the ecm and wiring from the salvage yard. What about the trans+, etc.
Thanks

I has the same problem so i just changed to the 87 ecm all i did was pluged the 87 ecm in and changed the maf to a 87 , i had to pull the small chip out of the 85 ecm so i could use the 85 coil pack and i put a good 87 chip in. very easy to do and you can get the ecm and other parts off here in the for sale area.You will have to get a chip burnt for the 85 maf if you are going to use it with the 87 ecm

good luck

Hey thanks guys,
BTW, My boost is probably pushing 17 to 20. I start getting knock so I back off. If I turn the boost down it seems like I hardly have any power.
Also, what exactly is the translator and extender stuff.
Thanks again,
Mike

To my knowlage the gm one is still available. replaced it on mine little over a year ago. A little pricey though. Just a thought.:cool:

good luck