maf distance from turbo

fnsikser

sentramental 4eva
i'm gonna make my own cold air intake,but i'm womdering if the mass air has to be a certain distance from the turbo to get an accurate reading or can i just throw it in the fenderwell with the filter....any help is appreciated..thanks

I would be very leary of placing the MAF right in front of the compressor inlet. Mainly due to the fact that the heating element is very thin to start with and could very easily be sucked into the turbo. Not too mention if you have an OEM original MAF with all the screens. The screens could get worked loose and be sucked in by the turbo as well. It's too bad we don't have some of the original GM engineers on here to answer questions like this, as I'm sure they could shed some light on this matter.

Honestly, in all the years I've been messing with these cars, I've never seen anyone try to remotely mount a MAF sensor, nor have I seen anyone try to mount it directly to the turbo. I have seen LT1 and LS1 MAF sensors mounted post turbo, just before the throttle body tho. There were some posts regarding the after turbo mount locations on here not too long ago.

I've always ran mine in or around the stock location myself with no problems what so ever.

HTH

Patrick

i'm not trying to mount the maf the the turbo or anything crazy,i'm just asking if it has to at least a certain location from the turbo inlet as it is now...i know on my nissan it has to be at least 12"s to function properly...i was thinking about tucking the maf in the fender wheel area which would put the maf a little further away than it is now at it's stock location....i know all about sucking your maf screens into your turbo housing etc...