Mac tools franchise

LIL6cyl

Hey all,

I was thinking of becoming a Mac tools franchise. Has anyone here ever been in this type of business?Thoughts?

I have never done but I have a few friends who have tried it. You must me customer oriented and will to lose money on a few sales to get loyal customers in the long run.

I looked into it at one time. The issue I had is you put all this money out on truck credit then the guy quits, now you have to track him down.

I've known 4 guys that did it over the years and all went broke.Unless you are buying someone elses route it is very hard to make it work out.

Walk away. I have a very good friend that had a Mac Tools route and it cost him money.He still has 35k worth of tools in his basement and garage. Like stated above if your buying a route that's established it might not be too bad. But you would have to ask yourself.Why are they selling it

Yep, you need to take over a route with plenty of dealerships or mechanical facilities. Otherwise you will spend tons of money on fuel and no profits.

currently cutting it the F loose

As a tool dealer the whole credit w expensive tools is scary. Also have to think about parking the truck etc. Youre pretty much driving around w a sticker that says money inside (not cash but tools). Even with an established route wpuld be tricky. I was thinking fed ex ground route

Probably the only way to make killing with those tool truck, is to sell the tools online at a lower cost than the tool truck. But it's probably against company policy.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Do a search on the way Mac treats its dealers. I have read some pretty disturbing stories.
I'd rather start an off brand with a used truck, sell stuff with a decent markup, warranty it and take good care of your customers to develop a business. You won't be hampered by corporate edicts and can develop as you see fit.
I used to run a "deal" in Houston that serviced muffler shops with their needs and there was a guy who sold tools(New and used) out of his Isuzu rodeo. He claimed to do quite well. Lots of money to be made servicing the needs of business.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I can see Pro shops wanting/needing expensive well made tools... But, sad to say, the average Joe in a homeshop will buy Chicom tools from Northern, HF, etc, use them til they break, then buy them again ( and again and again). That Joe could prolly buy the same Chicom tool 15 x's for the price of one Mac or Snap-on. A Pro shop would rather have a tool that won't break (i.e. lawsuit) whereas a home shop guy doesn't really care when the stuff they buy is so cheap...

Walmart tools carry a lifetime warranty also. Most of my shop tools are Snap-On but dad thinks I wasted all that money. He will buy 3 or 4 of the same WM tools and replace them in bunches. I would rather have comfortable dependable tools.

Notice I said New and used. If you get a relationship going with a couple of the "name brand" dealers and buy them right your warranty can be handled on those brands and you might just have a way to buy their wares to sell new in areas that they don't or won't service. I used to hit some pretty sketchy areas but only early in the day and early in the week to avoid conflict. Those guys will know their area and once you build a raport with them you will have a leg up.
Not everyone wants mac/snapon/Matco. Some want them used, some want Chicom, some just want something to get the job done. Just knowing what they want and supplying it is great when they have money to collect for your services.
I always think it is great that I have their needs as they have my money. Just Need to make the swap.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I was a Snap-On Tech rep for 7 years in the 90's. Any tool dealer either Mac, Snap-On, Matco is a real tough way to make a living. Collecting money after the sale is a huge headache. Think about the auto repair industry in general. The older techs usually have most of what they need, we aren't seeing a whole lot of new techs coming plus have the money to buy tools. What most franchises want to do is bury you in debt to keep you hungry to sell tools. Average tool dealer career is 7 years. I can tell you some stories, here or PM me.

Don't walk, RUN away! The tool companies get their money from you, it's up to you to get the money back & make a profit. If you don't make the payment, they will take your house. My route had 2 days out of town, and my new leased Duramax truck left me stranded 3 times in 6 months. Can't remember how many "customers" skipped out on payments, left, quit, got fired or arrested. What a scam. I wish I knew then what I know now