MAACO Paint Job Buicks

I had my 86 GN painted at the local MAACO here in Independence,MO. They used Chromabase Dupont base/clear. They stripped the top,hood,and deck lid. I removed the headlights and taillights,spoiler,wheelwell mouldings.They removed the outside mirrors,and removed a dent in the left quarter panel. The owner wet sanded and polished the entite car. The TOTAL cost $2152.
For what I paid I was VERY pleased with the results. Not perfect,but very nice!!!

I bought an 1987 Jacked up 4x4 pickup truck that my friends Dad had painted with rustoleum paint. it looks okay for a plow truck, but I'd be nervouse to start sanding the GN.

This cost me 3k but it had original paint that was checking bad! So he stripped whole car to bare metal. Also looked like hail dents all over it. Every other body shop wanted 7k to 9k for a "show quality paint job". So i got the bodyshop manager of a Ford dealership to do it on the side there.

Attachments

• Grand Nationals 012.jpg
    Grand Nationals 012.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Grand Nationals 015.jpg
    Grand Nationals 015.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,038
  • Grand Nationals 014.jpg
    Grand Nationals 014.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,058
I had my 86 GN painted at the local MAACO here in Independence,MO. They used Chromabase Dupont base/clear. They stripped the top,hood,and deck lid. I removed the headlights and taillights,spoiler,wheelwell mouldings.They removed the outside mirrors,and removed a dent in the left quarter panel. The owner wet sanded and polished the entite car. The TOTAL cost $2152.
For what I paid I was VERY pleased with the results. Not perfect,but very nice!!!

Nice!!
I had my 87 painted at Maaco five years ago.I can't complain.
Go for the BC/CC its worth the little bit extra.
I took off all the emblems and moldings,cleaned and touched up the trim and reinstalled myself after I got the car back.
I have had a few cars painted by them over the years.I do my own bodywork and prep,including painting the jams.
FWIW,I sold a 72 442 convertible for $12,500 that Maaco painted..and this was 10 years ago...sequoia green w/gold W30 stripes...BC/CC and it came out mint.
$12,500 for the car wasn't cheap back then either...
A Maaco job can be any quality level you choose....

We have a Local Macco the owner is really into cars.Old Pontiacs.He told me"Bob you have someone disaasemble,do all the bodywork,primers or Z-glase it,Block it,and Jam it in "."You reassemble it and bring it to me."I use all PPG stuff".He said "I buy paint and supplies for 30% or less."I will put a Hell of a paint job on it with plenty or clear for you to sand and buff for a grand.I paid the body man 2400.Moral of the story you wont get it dont right for much less than 3500.00.I am in the reaasembly process now and it looks good .For the record also the paint alone will cost you a grand at the paint store just for the supplies

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,042
  • IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,040
I would wait, there is plenty to spend money on else where. If its been out in the weather this long it probably will need all new weather stripping and decals. Thats more than your original budget. And a great paintjob will still look average with old and torn weatherstripping, molding,decals,interior etc..
Do it right if it takes 5yrs...

Hahaha, 5 years. Good luck. Might want to stretch that out a few more if you really want to be happy with the finished product. I'm going on 6 and not even close....

Well the price on shipping may not be as bad for him! Shipping to Australia cant be cheap!:biggrin:.....

If the paint is extremely bad, go for it. At worst it'll be a '10 foot' paint job.

If u can't afford a quality job macco will do just fine. It is better than a 20 plus year old paint job. Just find which macco has the best guys by asking around, go look at some of the cars there doing and determine if it is up to you're standard.

To save more cash take off the lights bumpers and anything else that can save u money. The house and the family comes first then everything else next.

Hahaha, 5 years. Good luck. Might want to stretch that out a few more if you really want to be happy with the finished product. I'm going on 6 and not even close....

I took my car down to the metal, treated the metal, did the body work sent it to get sprayed. All my trim/ grille/ bezels etc were cleaned up and repainted. Not to mention this car was a roller and I had to install the motor/trans. All done between December 2010 to Now. Yes I work and have a life lol
5 years is a prison sentence. I want to drive my car.

December 2010
c6e4d027-8033-8428.jpg

Now. Painted as of last week.
c6e4d027-80ca-482e.jpg

c6e4d027-8126-d8b8.jpg

wow nice work Lou...amazing results.
Thanks for all the help guys..
I just installed the front and rear suspension today and after having hell with the fronts, shes done...waiting for my replacement bumper fillers and then the search for 2 doors...if you guys have any please let me know...mine are rusted through to hell.
You all have convinced me to not fail her and do it right..I may have found a MAACO that will do it really well.. stopped by there office here in rockville and the manager said he wouldnt let that walk away ugly and he showed me the cars fresh in the booth...i was amazed.. he said for about 2800 he will get her as straight as he can and paint with 3 layers of clear and will personally cut and buff her...
I think this is going to be hard but i am happy its not as bad as i expected.. There was a monte in there that was black and it shined like my forehead after installing these springs..(its 92 outside)
he said it was in worse condition.
thanks again fellas.
now i just need some damn doors ::grin::

Back in the Winter of 2006 I took my Buick to a local (reputable) autobody shop that was in a very slow spell (not a lot of collisions that season). In order to help keep the doors open and the guys employed they cut me a hell of a deal ($1000) including the metal work (rebuilt door jams, trunk, lower door panels, rockers, lower quarters, filled in the emblem hole on the header panel, paint the wheels, etc), prime, paint in base/clear using BASF products. All I had to do was tear down what I didn't want painted.

Fresh out of the booth:

front.jpg

As it was in 2008:

pic%20004.jpg

Here's the car 5 years later... it is still a solid 5 footer.

Attachments

• pic 006.jpg
    pic 006.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 847
Follow up on my post earlier .I took it in last monday and picked it up friday worked on it a little sunday.I couldnt be happier with Macco.They laid it down for 1075.00 with tax .I have a couple dents in the door but not their fault .I can PDR them and Macco offered to have their PDR guy do it for less than 100.00.I havent sanded or buffed anything.I think after I assemble Ill scuff with 2000 and buff it lightly.The Metallic is better than my 6000.00 paint job on my silver grand prix I just restored.Car is going to look BAD ASS its my Wifes TR!

Attachments

• IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_1518.JPG
    IMG_1518.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 708
Back in the Winter of 2006 I took my Buick to a local (reputable) autobody shop that was in a very slow spell (not a lot of collisions that season). In order to help keep the doors open and the guys employed they cut me a hell of a deal ($1000) including the metal work (rebuilt door jams, trunk, lower door panels, rockers, lower quarters, filled in the emblem hole on the header panel, paint the wheels, etc), prime, paint in base/clear using BASF products. All I had to do was tear down what I didn't want painted.

Fresh out of the booth:

front.jpg

As it was in 2008:

pic%20004.jpg

Here's the car 5 years later... it is still a solid 5 footer.

I like the stretched airdams did you make those yourself? I want to make a one piece that big!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I like the stretched airdams did you make those yourself? I want to make a one piece that big!

Yes, I did. I didn't like them too much so I junked them. If I was to do it over again I would just buy the 1-pc unit that's been produced.

Yes, I did. I didn't like them too much so I junked them. If I was to do it over again I would just buy the 1-pc unit that's been produced.
I can make a glass mold pretty easily. I would probably make mine a little smaller than yours. Maybe an inch shorter. What did you make yours out of?

There is a reason a paint job done right costs a lot of money..... To do a professional quality paint job you must fix any rust or bad spots and then all of the prep work, making sure everything is totally straight, and sanding for weeks straight..... If you want a Maaco paint job you should own a Hyundai not a classic. I got a cheap paint job on a Caprice police car I bought and it looked good for a year and then it went downhill fast. Maaco and those places charge you based on the amount of warranty you want on the paint job. There basic paint job has like a one year warranty because thats all it last for.
GN6.jpg
The body is not off the frame yet and the glass needs to come out for media blast but you should get the idea of the amount of work involved to do it right.