M&H 245/55/15

626gn

Anybody have experience running this tire? http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Radials?product_id=159#.VLE2Jidrr-k Looking for feedback on wear and traction vs MT ET Street Radial 255/60/15 (running stock 7" wheel). I don't race but I do need more traction than I'm currently getting with my street tires. The other consideration is wet traction. I don't take my car out in the rain but sometimes you just never know if it will and I'd hate to be caught in it with my family in the car. Will the M&H be a tad bit safer instead of the MT's? The tread pattern on the M&H looks like it would do a little better on a wet road..

I'm not interested in running a 275 on a 7" wheel so Nitto's or anything else in this size is not an option.

The M and H tires seem to run a bit narrow for their advertised size. But they work well while they're fresh. I ran the 275's for a season or two. Like any drag radial, better take it easy in the rain. Never had an incident with mine but I was also very careful if I got caught in the rain.

The M and H tires seem to run a bit narrow for their advertised size. But they work well while they're fresh. I ran the 275's for a season or two. Like any drag radial, better take it easy in the rain. Never had an incident with mine but I was also very careful if I got caught in the rain.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think they'll last longer than MT's? I've read that they run smaller. Do you think the 275/50/15 on a 7" rim would fit without rubbing?

I don't ever intend on running them in the rain. Just wanted to know if I do get caught in it, if it would perform better than MT's just in case I had my family with me.

Haha I should ask, I assume your 7" rims have 3.5" back space? If they have 4.5 or more back spacing there could be a risk of rubbing

For wet traction and longevity Nitto drag radials are the way to go. They need to be heated up really well to hook at the track but for a street car they are a safer/longer lasting tire when compared to other brands. I have run MT, BFG, Hoosiers, and M&H before and the best for street use were the Nittos. The best for track was a toss up between MT and Hoosier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have considered Nitto's but I don't like the look of the 275's on a 7" wide rim and they don't have anything smaller in a 15".

I would have considered Nitto's but I don't like the look of the 275's on a 7" wide rim and they don't have anything smaller in a 15".
The Nittos run really narrow. The 275 in Nitto run like a 255 MT.

The Nittos run really narrow. The 275 in Nitto run like a 255 MT.

I hear you. I've heard they run narrow but I've also read some still have rub issues depending on how well centered the rear end is as well as uneven wear if you put them on a 7" wide rim. I'd rather not deal with any of that. Appreciate the input though.

Scott, keep in mind a 255/60/15 is a 27" tall tire.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to throw 275 size tires on stock rims. I did it for years. Did they rub? The passenger side did just enough to shine the frame up but I never knew it until I took the wheels off to get new tires put on. Of course MT still makes the 235/60/15 if you want a stock(ish) size. For some reason I think you're running 245 size tires all around, so maybe that's why you want something bigger than a 235.

As for performance in the rain, you know I've been running the MTs here and daily driving it too. Only time I got worried about driving in the rain here was when I was over on H3 a few months ago and it was POURING. What made it bad was the rain puddling on the road. Had to slow to 35 to keep from hydroplaning. But that was a worse conditions I've ever been in. All you have to do is slow down and stay out of the throttle. You get used to the feel just like any other mod in the car. Just drive like those old 70 year old Asians and you'll be fine.

I don't get why so many people cry about the MTs in the rain. Do they handle like an all season tire? Absolutely not. Can you drive them in the rain without a problem? Absolutely. I haven't had a regular street tire on mine in about 8 years now. I guess I somehow realized that you can't lay into it when it's raining out. Not a hard concept to grasp but for some it certainly appears so.

Hey Austin, thanks for chiming in. My car is not a beast like yours and as you know mine is just a cruiser so I’m not looking to cram the largest tire I can in there. I don’t like the look of a 275/60/15 on a 7" rim. If I were to run a 275 at all it would be the 50 series but those are even wider and I’d rather not deal with any rub (no matter how minimal), spacers, or whatever.

The M&H 245/55/15 is 26” tall, which I like, but I don’t mind going to a 27” tire if I decide to go with the 255 MT’s. Couldn’t find much useable info on the M&H and is the reason for my post. I currently have 225 street tires all the way around and they’re just useless if I try to get on it even a little bit. I’m just looking for a bit more traction so all the power you helped me add doesn't just go up in smoke :).

In all the years I’ve owned the car I only got caught in light rain two, maybe three times. One of them coming home from your house ;). So wet traction is not much of a concern but I asked only because I sometimes have my family with me. Now I remember you telling me the MT’s weren’t that bad in the rain as long as you drive sensibly.

I kind of like that size M&H you linked in your original post. It's kind of an unusual size but it fills that gap between the 275 and 235 size tires. I might even try them next time I'm due for some new tread. I think I priced a set of M&H tires a while back and decided against them due to cost reasons.

If you want to save a few bucks, pop the wheels off yourself and go talk to James up at Wahiawa tire. It's that little shady-ass looking building being Koa Pancake House. He's always sitting out front puffing on cigarette. He does all my tire changes and charges like $50 for mounting and balancing of both wheels. When I first went to him, I made sure he had the right tools (i.e., plastic teeth on the wheel changer machine thingy) and he let me hang out and watch him change them out.

Anybody have experience running this tire? http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Radials?product_id=159#.VLE2Jidrr-k Looking for feedback on wear and traction vs MT ET Street Radial 255/60/15 (running stock 7" wheel). I don't race but I do need more traction than I'm currently getting with my street tires. The other consideration is wet traction. I don't take my car out in the rain but sometimes you just never know if it will and I'd hate to be caught in it with my family in the car. Will the M&H be a tad bit safer instead of the MT's? The tread pattern on the M&H looks like it would do a little better on a wet road..

I'm not interested in running a 275 on a 7" wheel so Nitto's or anything else in this size is not an option.
You posted concerns about wear and wet traction. The M&H will wear really fast driving on the street. If you drive a lot in the summer months you might only get one season out of them. Wet traction in those are a little better than the MTs but still kinda flaky past 45mph in the rain. Like I mentioned before. I have owned all available brands of drag radials and if you are looking for longevity and best wet traction in my opinion the Nitto wins those categories. This is from personal experience of running through many tires on the Buick and my other cars. The Nittos are really narrow and if you are concerned about it looking bad I would go with the 275 50 15. It really is smaller than you think. I'm not trying to push the Nittos on you but having gone through this dilemma myself I would not want you to spend extra money trying things out. Just trying to help.

This a a 275 60. Look how narrow it is.
f8ea47779b1048aa9f8bec8de76a4198.jpg

You posted concerns about wear and wet traction. The M&H will wear really fast driving on the street. If you drive a lot in the summer months you might only get one season out of them. Wet traction in those are a little better than the MTs but still kinda flaky past 45mph in the rain. Like I mentioned before. I have owned all available brands of drag radials and if you are looking for longevity and best wet traction in my opinion the Nitto wins those categories. This is from personal experience of running through many tires on the Buick and my other cars. The Nittos are really narrow and if you are concerned about it looking bad I would go with the 275 50 15. It really is smaller than you think. I'm not trying to push the Nittos on you but having gone through this dilemma myself I would not want you to spend extra money trying things out. Just trying to help.

No worries man, I know you're just trying to help, and you have.

Wow that looks like a 255. Dayuum. I gotta measure my mt 255 drs tonight. 275 on bfg drag radials was too much on 8" rim 4" bs. If that has a little more patch than my 255 I might switch out

I ran 275/50/15's BFG's before mt dr's came out for many years no issues on my stock GN wheels

mid 1.60's every time with a TE60