Lutz confirms Buick Regal is back

mr_nate

Chemically Engineered
From Jalopnik:
GM's Lutz Confirms Buick Regal Is Back! - Buick Regal - Jalopnik

Lost in last week's GM product news was a spicy morsel from the Detroit News. According to Scott Burgess, GM's "Maximum" Bob Lutz confirmed Buick will reveal the Regal this year as a rebadged Opel Insignia. But whither the GNX?

We already knew the Opel Insignia's being rebadged as a Buick Regal for the Chinese market (shown above is the 2009 version), but if Burgess' quotes from Lutz are correct, it means the rumors — and previous off the record quotes from "nameless GM executives" — of the Insignia being rebadged as a Regal for the U.S. market are true. It also explains why outlets have spotted the Chinese Regal being tested on American soil.

Lutz claimed the new Regal will be introduced later this year. Our bet is the LA Auto Show if GM sticks to that timetable — which places the Regal at exactly the right place for a 2012 model year and showing up on dealer lots in 2011.

Susan Docherty, GM's vice president of Buick and GMC claims she expects Buick "to continue to draw younger buyers with new compacts and midsize sedans." The only way we can think of that would draw youngsters back to the Buick brand is if they offer some kind of high-horsepower sedan that'll reinvite press outlets to make comparisons between it and a car for Darth Vader. Can someone say GNX? We know we can. [via Detroit News]

http://www.allbestwallpapers.com/wallpaper/vehicle/image/opel_insignia_concept_car,_2003.jpg

If Buick would build a coupe with some power and style I would consider it. No four door for me. And how bought some ls power under the hood. I didn't look, is it wrong wheel drive?
opel_insignia_concept_car,_2003.jpg

AWD i believe

(Another article from spring 09)
The recently announced 2010 Opel Insignia and Vauxhall VXR could spawn another variant we would love to own: the Buick Regal GNX.

With the Buick Regal proving to be a huge sales success here in China, and the Regal 2.0 Turbo planned for a reveal at the Shanghai Auto Show next week, the chances of a high-performance version being developed (or badge swapped) is entirely within the realm of possibility.

As strange as it may sound, Audi is Buick's biggest competitor here in the People's Republic of China and the A4 is the Regal's main foe. Audi also sells the high-performance S4 model here, which is also the Opel Insignia OPC and Vauxhall Insignia VXR's performance target. Why not slap a Buick waterfall grille and a GNX badge on this biatch and call it a day? We've seen stranger things happen.

A rear, or awd, 2 door car, with a turbo 6 would be nice. I know that's not going to happen, but I can dream. Though I really would like to see Buick produce another hotrod. Show the world how it's done. Again. It should would be nice.
As for now, the bmw went, and a 98 GS replaced it as my daily driver. I couldn't be any happier either. All buicks now.
"Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?"
Yup. Sure would.

Spy shots of what the coupe version of the chassis they are going to make the new regal on. Imagine this in black with AWD and 300hp...

Attachments

• Side 800.jpg
    Side 800.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 324
  • Front 800.jpg
    Front 800.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 326
Whatever they do, it won't be right. :frown:

I have lost much of my intrest, or faith even, in Government Motors. It will be too everything. Too many gadgets, too complex, too heavy, too slow for what it should be because it is too heavy, look too much like every other car in it's class, and too hard to work on and modify for the average person. And if they put a badge on it like GN or GNX then it will definitely be too expensive and too over the top. It will never capture the mystique and the presence of our turbo Regal's.

IMO the only thing the General has gotten right or stayed on the right track with is the Corvette and the Colbalt. Everything else they try too hard to be Audi or Opel or Saab or BMW or Dodge. They want to take some one else's work and reap the rewards. Look at the new GTO. On it's own it was an admirable car. Decent power and handling and could have been a market hit, in the right market that is. As good as it was, it didn't ring true to the GTO's memory. The result, it went away. The people that wanted to recapture their youth were disappointed with the name. The people the car should have been marketed to kept buying Hondas, Mitshubishis, and mini-vans because they couldn't afford the heritage of the name plate. It's going to be the same with the new Camaros...$57,000 for a Z28 :eek:...Sheesh And it will be the same for a new GN.

I have lost much of my intrest, or faith even, in Government Motors. It will be too everything. Too many gadgets, too complex, too heavy, too slow for what it should be because it is too heavy, look too much like every other car in it's class, and too hard to work on and modify for the average person. And if they put a badge on it like GN or GNX then it will definitely be too expensive and too over the top. It will never capture the mystique and the presence of our turbo Regal's.

IMO the only thing the General has gotten right or stayed on the right track with is the Corvette and the Colbalt. Everything else they try too hard to be Audi or Opel or Saab or BMW or Dodge. They want to take some one else's work and reap the rewards. Look at the new GTO. On it's own it was an admirable car. Decent power and handling and could have been a market hit, in the right market that is. As good as it was, it didn't ring true to the GTO's memory. The result, it went away. The people that wanted to recapture their youth were disappointed with the name. The people the car should have been marketed to kept buying Hondas, Mitshubishis, and mini-vans because they couldn't afford the heritage of the name plate. It's going to be the same with the new Camaros...$57,000 for a Z28 :eek:...Sheesh And it will be the same for a new GN.

GM is just another extension of our Govt... and they are just as "out of touch" with the people as the the Govt is.

I will NEVER buy another new car again. No fvcking way. NEVER. They are ALL overpriced and 99% of them are ugly as h3ll.

$57,000 for a new Z28 ???

Who the h3ll do they think can afford new cars anymore ?

500,000+ jobs are lost every month, with no end in sight. It will be 10+ years before this country even comes close to recovering from the hole it's in.

The business I'd like to be in now is the aftermarket and used auto parts business... since nobody can afford new cars anymore... they will keep and repair their old cars.

You hit that one pretty much on the head. Hopefully they will listen to the customer and give them what they want. My favorite was the Silverado SS that Hot Rod tested. It was a plain jane regular cab short bed with a manual and rub floor mats. Everybody wanted it that way. So what did GM give the public, AWD, big wheels, Loaded leather interior, and a matching price tag. I remember a red one sitting on the dealers lot for over 6 months. I really hope that they learned their lesson, but I doubt it. Maybe they could just reintroduce another Aztec!!! :D

On another note, I was going by the dealer the other day and I saw what looked like a V8 emblem on a Colorado. That would be interesting!!! :biggrin:

Looks alot like a Volvo S80

Attachments

• volvo10.jpg
    volvo10.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 169
That car weighs almost 4100 lbs according to that article. Making it comply with national rollover standards is likely to bring that weight up even more. I'm sorry, but you're talking about a 4200lb car with just over 300hp.

I'll pass.