Lubrication of the rockers

The Swede

-89 TTA 7 sec car
Hi all!

We have the SII 153 with parts picked together from other engines.

The block has no oil holes into the lifters.

We have 3 shafts in the heads.

There are oilconnections on the valvecovers with a welded pipe inside with small holes in, these are mounted over the valves.

We are now wondering if these holes are enough to spray oil on the rockers, or... are they for cooling down the valvesprings?

I saw in the Ruggles book that they had a setup with 1 shaft and oil into the shaft.

Thanks!

oiling

check very closly to see if there is tiny ( .030 ) oil holes in the lifter bores. it is common not to see them !! if not you need to use line to externally oil the rocker shafts mike off to indy race with parts!!! :cool:

oiling

Mike is right. Check very closely to see if there may be a very tiny hole drilled in the lifter bore. But, from the sound of your description you have multi shaft Jessel rockers. If so you will need to drill the lifter bores as you will need to pressure oil them through the pushrods. If you had heads with single shaft T & D rockers you can use gun drilled rocker shafts and oil them with external lines to each head. The spray bars in the valve covers are just to cool the valve springs and won't oil the rockers where they need it.

Uuuhhhhhh..... a .030 hole???? Geeezzz, that's a tiny one!

We couldn't see it or feel it but i think i got it with the camera, unfortunally i just had a tough hard disc crash with no back up :mad: and no programs installed yet.... but when i have them all installed i will post some pics.

But..... why so tiny holes when the holes in the lifters are approx. .120?

Don't use the valve spring sprayers in the valve covers. They are a waste of oil pressure for a drag race application.

You might want to drill the lifter bores to provide oiling to the lifter and the pushrods to oil your rockers. The Jessel valvetrain isn't setup for direct oiling like the T&D's.

Thanks guys, i found the tiny oilholes... just needed the correct light and angel to locate them.