LT1/LS1 MAF w/ Tomka Cold Air Kit?

OKTurbo

I've been toying with the idea of investing in the Trans+ / new MAF / Extender chip for my 87 GN. I really like the Tomka Cold Air kit I put on it a few years ago and was wondering how the new MAF would fit into it.

Anybody out there installed a 3" or 3 1/2" LT1/LS1 MAF in the Tomka kit? Is the new MAF still held on by the bracket....if not, are the Tomka hoses stiff enough to support the MAF without making a new bracket?

The Tomka kit has plastic adapters that fit inside the 3 1/2"I.D. hose to mate up the stock MAF....are new adapters needed?

It would be fairly easy to do with a solid MAF pipe since different hose adapters are available from various sources, but the flexible hose on the Tomka kit would need different adapters..... I'd like to keep the "stock" appearance the Tomka kit gives if at all possible.

Thanks,
John

I ran the 3.5" LS1 MAF with the Tomka setup and it worked well. The Tomka 3.5" hose will fit right over the MAF (with a little effort).

If you are going to go with the setup, go all the way and get the Trans Plus, 3.5" MAF and the Extender chip. There is no better system out there for tuning your car.

Thanks c&cgn....I talked to Pete Tomka on the phone just a little while ago and he said basically the same thing. The 3.5" MAF would fit with the existing hose.

He wasn't sure when I asked him about the bracket to hold the MAF up. These new style MAFs aren't nearly as big as the stock and he thought the hose was stiff enough to hold it w/o a bracket. If you want a bracket for the LS1 MAF you're on your own.

The reason I called him was because the plastic hose adapter for the turbo inlet on my kit has cracked. Replacement + shipping is $14....FYI.

Thanks,
John

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Thanks c&cgn....I talked to Pete Tomka on the phone just a little while ago and he said basically the same thing. The 3.5" MAF would fit with the existing hose.

He wasn't sure when I asked him about the bracket to hold the MAF up. These new style MAFs aren't nearly as big as the stock and he thought the hose was stiff enough to hold it w/o a bracket. If you want a bracket for the LS1 MAF you're on your own.

The reason I called him was because the plastic hose adapter for the turbo inlet on my kit has cracked. Replacement + shipping is $14....FYI.

Thanks,
John

I forgot to mention about the bracket. I didn't use it for the stock maf and I don't (couldn't) use it for the 3.5". It was no problem though. I switched from the Tomka setup because I switched from a TA series turbo to a TE and it was too painful trying to get the new TE adapter from Ron's. Instead I sold the whole setup to a fellow club member and went with the Big Mouth setup.