LS9 into a GN- what's involved?

MG8T7GN

I had a customer call me today and wants me to put a LS9 into his GN and I have no idea what would be involved. He wants to keep the a/c and dry sump and go with a 6 speed. Possibly keep the carbon brakes. Are there any companies that make an installation kit? Mounts, headers, clutch pedal, etc. What about engine management? I'll assume we'll need to change the rear tyo something stronger. I have not seen what the GN looks like. How big of a can of worms am I opening if I take on this job?

BRP makes kits for mounting it. I'm not sure about headers, but you can use the LS9 harness and something like EFI live for tuning.

I had a customer call me today and wants me to put a LS9 into his GN and I have no idea what would be involved. He wants to keep the a/c and dry sump and go with a 6 speed. Possibly keep the carbon brakes. Are there any companies that make an installation kit? Mounts, headers, clutch pedal, etc. What about engine management? I'll assume we'll need to change the rear tyo something stronger. I have not seen what the GN looks like. How big of a can of worms am I opening if I take on this job?

Make sure you get at least $50g up front, the engine,wiring harness and ECM will run over $24g...

Take a look at the oil pan. Being a dry sump, it may complicate the steering/frame clearance issues.
Retaining the stock a/c will eat up any space you have for coils and engine covers. [Am doing a 85G body.. and am seeing no space left]. Customer is going w/ an aftermkt a/c to clean up the firewall, and get things freed up.
Maybe, you can take a look at a Vette w/ this engine it.. That will give you an idea of what to expect for space.....

Engine mgmt: As mentioned, the stock PCM is a great choice. We use EFILIVE to tune with.

there are lots of write ups on LSX swaps into G bodies. I am doing one myself. I dont know the specifics for the LS9? not a 7? LQ9? 99 maybe? i dont know of an ls9? at any rate I did alot of test fitting with my LS1. I had to cut the frame at the K member for oil pan clearance, and the front frame horns for a/c clearance. I also reshaped my blower housing for the #7 coil pack. you would have to do some of this trial and error/test fitting. there is alot of time and money needed for one of these projects. the more stuff you can fabricate on your own the easier it will be. there are quite a few motor mounts, tranny mounts to choose from. I used BRP mounts and located them myself by placing the engine where i wanted it and locating the mounts based on that. The biggest part of the project for me was READING, and alot of it to get to the right answer before i screwed something up. Hope this helps. Most guys will be able to tell you how they have done it, but keep in mind there are 5 other ways to do it also.

The LS9 is the supercharged Corvette ZR1 engine. The engine is coming from his ZR1 racecar, since he can not really race it. We were thinking of buying what's left of the Corvette an sticking a crate LS7 in it. I do not know if the supercharger will even clear the firewall. May need to also go to a non a/c heater box. Of course I'd buy all of the GN takoffs from the project. We're still in the 'should we tackle this project" mode right now.

It should be pretty straight forward. Swapping an LSX into a Gbody is about as easy as it gets when it comes to engine swaps. Anything that fits under a vette's hood will easily clear in our cars. I'd look at BRP, and get on LS1 tech too. I am more familiar with more budget minded builds, so I won't make parts recommendations haha.

If you not turbo the motor then go with BRP kit, it is easy install , I have that kit on my car and their headers too ,fit like a glove, if you want some pics LMK

Lenny