LS1 MAf's Question

Murdock

Should you remove the screens for airflow or will this mess up the computer? Also which ones are compatible?

What is the difference between the LS1 and the LT1

Last edited:
Screens are there for a purpose. I've gone 131 mph in the 1/4 on a stock 87 MAF with both screens in it. When I had a LT1 MAF and translator I liked it. I run a LS7 slot maf on a true 4 inch intake and basic translator. Instant throttle response and less turbo lag. Some don't like the 4 inch slot style. I've had good luck with it though, but seems that is not the norm for them on our cars.

Do the screens act like a flow straightener?

I picked up an LS1 MAF during the winter and will be putting together my own cold air intake this summer...if I'm not mistaken, I'll need to get a MAF translator...what do you guys recommend that's reasonably priced?

P.S. Murdock, I like your choice of wheels!

Keep is simple with the basic MAF Translator. Full Throttle has a support forum and you can download the manual to see what it does.

The LS1 maf I have, has no screens in it....

They all came from the factory with a screen. Sometimes it will work ok without one, but usually there are little quirks, like BLM's off, lean idle, tip-in stumble, etc. It all depends on the intake plumbing leading into it.

The new plastic ones also have a screen.

Capture121.JPG

Thanks for the links, Pronto.

Getting back to my question about the MAF sensor screens being an airflow straightener...the MAF screens aren't simply there to prevent debris getting into the intake. They smooth the air so it has a more consistent flow across the sensor. Furthermore, the need for a smoother airflow path increases if there are bends in the intake tubing before & after that MAF sensor. If the whole line was straight, the screens wouldn't serve much of a purpose. So, I don't think it's worth any negligible gain to remove the screens.

See this thread, and Injuneer's post in particular:

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/274377-removing-the-screen-on-the-mass-airflow-sensor/