LS1 and Z06

TurboMonteSS

Ran my Monte SS with GN power at Quaker City drag strip, Salem Ohio 06/28/02. Just put a TA60 on and ATR Stainless exhaust. Running 94 octain and street radials with 17 lbs boost I was running very low 13's. Car looks totally stock and I lined up against a 2002 Camaro SS. He ran a 14.24 and I ran a 13.19. I walked by unseen as he was talking to his buddy who also was running a new Camaro SS. Heard him say " did you see what that Montecarlo SS did to me?, no 305 in there I bet". Tried to run a 2002 Z06 but couldn.t line up with him. He was also running low 13's. All cars seem to be running slow that night. I had a real traction problem and Direct Scan showed I was running too rich (.835) and no knock! Thought I would have run easy twelves, but only got 3 runs and 1 went up in smoke! I also have a 2001 Mustang Bullitt and really like driving that car. Not really fast, but sure is fun to drive!

Good Kill! Chevrolet should have done what you did and put a real motor(turbo 6 or at least a 350) in the Monte's and Buick should have put real gauges(like the montes) in the gn's. The Z06 would have been a really close race.

Guys,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the new 2002 Z06 was a solid low 12 second car from the factory pushing over 400 in HP & Torque??

Todd

Originally posted by toddmingnworld
Guys,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the new 2002 Z06 was a solid low 12 second car from the factory pushing over 400 in HP & Torque??

Todd

Well yes there have been some that achieved mid to low 12's, but you have to remember that they are stick shifts and it comes to driver ability to handle the power.
So the Z06 there that night was running low 13's, but as that driver gets better he will get faster. He has half a second to pick up in just experience... cheap mod!

Your right, I thought they were low 12 cars too, but most of his runs were real low 13's, although he hit one 12.91 @ 106. Look at the 2 new Camaro SS's only running low to mid 14's and a 2001 Bullitt Mustang running 14.95 as its best. None of the cars that night were running very fast, also this was at Quaker City in Salem Ohio and it has a slight uphill grade at the end. I thought I would be easily in the 12's. Ran into a real traction problem after I raised the boost 1 1/2 lbs to lower my o2 volts from .875 to .830. Still was running too rich. I was trying to see how fast I could go on 94 Sonoco and street radials. My last run was a 13.84 with a lot of spinning. (that round the Z06 ran a 13.75). Test and tune night. BTW what should lbs should I try in my airbag?

I was at Houston Raceway Park about a year ago and there were a couple of guys that were going to start a performance shop there. One guy had a WS6 firebird, the other a Camaro SS (they were 2000 models I believe), both were stock and the WS6 managed a 13.3, but the guy with the SS couldn't seem to break 13.5. So yes in a manual the driver makes a huge difference.

Just last night, there was a new ZO6 running 14.30's at Route 66 Raceway. Guy couldn't launch, or shift. I was kinda dissapointed, I wanted to see what it could really run.

Kyle,

Yeah I understand exactly what your saying, makes alot of sense, I just thought or was under the impression that driving a stick with all that power would be easy to minipulate.....Thought Wrong:D

TurboMonteSS,

Well I have dual airbags in my set-up and I usually run no more than 11 pounds on the street but if and when I get to the track I'll probably up that to no more than 15 pounds....Oh, btw thats for the passenger side airbag....I put no more than 5 pounds in the driver side airbag....

Todd

I know the feeling

I know the feeling turbo monty ss. I have a 79 malibu the same way your car is and killed a mustang on the interstate going street racing one night. The next day at the track one of his friends that was in the car talked to me and asked if i had a big block. Of course I said no just a v6 and 27 psi.

Aerocoupe,

My buddy has an 87 Aerocoupe he is thinking about selling as a parts car. Shoot me an email if you know of anyone looking for one.