Low turn out at the BOP in Bristol TN

Chris Taylor

Got 6?
This year was the lowest attendance by far for vendors, racers, show cars and spectators at the BOP in Bristol TN. I was thinking the weather forecast may have played at part in the low turn out. This event has about dwindled down to nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I would go see a few TR’s race if that is all that showed up. I drove the cream beige T to the BOP, met and talked to a lot of TR’s enthusiast. I wish the BOP would grow back to the event it was in the early years when it started in ’97.

what's the deal???

This is probably one of the nicest drag racing facilties in the country. It beats the crap out of Bowling Green! Why do people show no interest in meeting there?

Lots of people did not know the event was going to happen at all this year after the abandonment and misinformation in January.

You're right...there is not a nicer facility in this solar system.

Why is it that Bowling Green gets such a big turnout? Why can't the same thing happen in Bristol? Makes no sense to me.

Here's the story of why I stopped going.

When Jim Haas started Buicks at Bristol it a few years back it was BUICKS ONLY. It was Buicks only for two events. I flew 5000 miles round trip both years and it was worth it to me. Like you said, beautiful facility plus Jim put on a super well organized event.

Then it was changed to BOP for whatever reason. I wasn't about to fly 5000 miles for what would be just another drag race. I could stay home for that. And I have a feeling that others also felt the same way hence why attendance has dropped.

If anyone ever changed it back to Buicks only I'd attend again.

There's plenty of room for all! It really doesn't matter to me if there's a couple other brands there. There was no support at all for Olds or Pontiac from what I saw. Do they feel the same? I'd like to see more cooperation/information from the Buick community. The Bristol event needs a booster shot!

just a thought....The Year One Bristol Bash is to close to this event. The YO event is open to everything though,I`m going to the YO event

What do you mean lowest attendance for vendors? How about NO venders. That was a waste of a day and $15 dollars for me. Well, at least I got to spend time with my good friends riding up there.....:rolleyes:

What about the transexual you met in the truck stop?....you would have never found true love if you had not made the trip.

Well guys, Bristol may be a really nice facility, but it's also one of the slowest! I like the track too, but I've usually run .4 slower there then at any other track, including Bowling Green. Being up in the mountains is something they can't do anything about. Nice track, good traction, bad air! I also believe the addition of Olds' and Pontiacs took away some of the Buicks. My opinion, anyway.

Kenny D. went 206mph there with Conley right there with him. The event needs to be the way it was back then. I'm thinking that was '98 or '99. Whenever it was, it was awesome!

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Here's the story of why I stopped going.

When Jim Haas started Buicks at Bristol it a few years back it was BUICKS ONLY. It was Buicks only for two events. I flew 5000 miles round trip both years and it was worth it to me. Like you said, beautiful facility plus Jim put on a super well organized event.

Then it was changed to BOP for whatever reason. I wasn't about to fly 5000 miles for what would be just another drag race. I could stay home for that. And I have a feeling that others also felt the same way hence why attendance has dropped.

If anyone ever changed it back to Buicks only I'd attend again.

Thats one of the stupidest reasons I have ever heard. :mad: The event is still 95% Buicks and its thinking like this that kills all these events.

I flew out to the West Coast Nationals in Vegas 2 years ago and saw more Non-Buicks running there than I did at the BOP event in Bristol the same year and you know what? SO WHAT!!

Go to your local track on a Friday or Saturday and tell me how many Buicks you see running? I'm lucky to see 2 Turbobuicks around here on a Friday and the East Coast has the majority of these cars!

So your that anal that you won't show up to watch over 150 Buicks run because there might be a couple Pontiacs and Olds thrown in.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gee I wonder why the Buick stuff is dying. :mad: :mad:

I was told that the track is at 1300 feet. Bob Armstrong went a 9.04 (on a 9.20 dialin, sigh :)), in basically the same tune that went a personal best 8.86 at Englishtown. Alan L. was about .2 off his normal times in his yellow T-Type, also, so I'd believe 0.2-0.4 sec slower than a sea level, fast track. There were maybe six Pontiacs running, an Olds powered dragster that was low qualifier in the Q32 at about 7.50, probably a couple of other Olds' that I didn't notice, and the rest was Buicks. My guess is about 4-6 V8 cars, about 6-8 sub-10.0 TR's, another 6-8 TR's in the 10-12 range, and a couple more somewhere :). I think that there were 21 cars in the footbrake class and I'd guess about 12-15 in the Quick 32 class. Jim Dotson was having laptop troubles and basically couldn't tune all weekend and still made one nice, clean 7.8 pass at over 170 mph. Alan L. was blowing off at least one intercooler hose every pass while running 8.5-9.0 in his yellow T. Jim Rock had rocker shaft problems and I never saw a good pass from him. Bob Armstrong ran a 9.04 for sure, but I don't know if that was his quickest pass of the weekend. I don't remember what Bill Anderson's best time was before frying the clutch in his monster. Phil only got about four passes on his new car - one with an easy launch just to make sure it would go straight and to check the boost, one with a hard right turn at the launch that was still a 10 or 11 after lifting completely at least twice, maybe one more I don't remember, and then the 9.30 at 135 where the intake gasket went at about 1000'. There was a stage II powered dragster there but he wasn't running for some reason.

I had a fun time. Got to meet some board members face to face finally, learned how to pack a chute on an 8 second car, and took my turn trying to tighten Alan's intercooler hoses so they would stay on :). The facility is awesome. I guess if you want to go somewhere to run a personal best number the altitude is bad. If you want to see good racing it doesn't matter because everyone has the same air :). I'll go next year if I can, and I hope the track does a lot more advertising.

Message to Mike:

Normally I have my say and let it go when someone offers a different opinion. Not in your case.

I don't FLY 5000 miles to go to my local track.

YOU chose to fly to WCN because it was YOUR choice. I chose to NOT fly to Bristol because it was MY choice.

You say it's "It's my thinking that kills these events". I don't have psychokinetic powers.

About the only item you mention that has a semblance of truth is that my NOT showing up in Bristol killed it. That's very true, of course if I don't show up no one else does either. ;) ;) .

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mike, I think you're witnessing a classic example of Chris's tongue and cheek humor. Chris, hate to do this to you, buddy, but I'm fielding a complaint I received about this post (not from Mike). As the board has a very clear rule about personal attacks and name calling, I had to clean this one up. Jeez, I had planned on just removing the offensive and personal remarks but find that there's very little left. Got to say, Chris, that you sure know how to tear into someone. Here's your chance at me. ;)

Jack Evers

Bump

Mike (TTA89) and Chris need to have a little fight to settle this at one of these events.........

Both of you guys will be at the Vegas event right??

In the words of Al Bundy....

"Let's rock!"

:D ;)

I for one didn't go because Chris wasn't going to be there. ;) Well, that, and motor "issues"...and no more vacation....and my "psychokinetic power" that lead me to believe that attendence would be low. :mad:

Year One

I have gone go to the BOP event at bristol for the past few years and it has been getting smaller each year. This year Jim Hass said he would not be doing the event so most thought it was off and made other plans.Myself, and from what i have herd many of the buicks will be at YEAR ONE BASH .Much bigger event ,lot's to do for the kids and wifes.Also since they have a parts mag for our cars there will be class races for us.See all at cecil or bristol.