low oil pressure

sweetgn

The other day my oil pressure dropped from normal. Now at startup I have about 20-30psi oil cold. I used to have 60-80psi oil cold. Can someone tell me how to check the oil pressure relief valve and spring ? Is it easy to do. It looks like by the factory service manual you just unscrew the big bolt near the oil filter and the spring and valve would fall out. Is this correct or am I being naive ? Thanks, any advice would be appreciated. Oil level is fine, no leaks. A lifter or something is tapping on the passenger side of the engine since this drop occurred.

You are correct. I would also consider dropping the oil pan and checking the pickup tube for any obstruction.

Not a good thing

I took off the passenger side valve cover today and found a rocker arm shaft broken in half. No problem it was an aftermarket and I still had the GM unit at the house. That was until I tried to put the push rod back onto the lifter it fell off of. I can't find it. It's almost as if it blew out of the hole and is no longer there. Is this possible, for the lifter to come out of the hole while the intake manifold is in place? That would explain my low oil pressure, right ?????

Yep, if the pushrod comes out of the lifter, there is nothing to hold the lifter in place...and yes, that would explain the oil pressure problem.

Thanks, for all the info. I appreciate it. I guess I will be pulling the intake manifold this week. Oh well, I guess it could be worse.
Thanks again.

Thanks, for all the info. I appreciate it. I guess I will be pulling the intake manifold this week. Oh well, I guess it could be worse.
Thanks again.
I just had this problem. Would my bottom end still be ok? Is the crank still getting oil, even if the gauge says zero pressure.?

You're bottom end lost pressure but that's not automatically a recipe for disaster. The bearings and journals will stay wet for a little while as long as you're not WFO.

If the offending lifer is on the drivers side you stand much better odds of getting away with it.