Low Fuel Light Momentarily Lights

nightrain

I'm the other nightrain..
Apart from the obvious of having too little fuel, I'm getting a strange occurance of the low fuel light coming on for a split second on hard launches. I know I had 8 gals of fuel in the tank since I personally filled it with 10gals of C16 earlier on race day. I only made a few runs before it got dark and I noticed it on my in car video. My steering hand must have been blocking it from my view. Have a look at the linked video below, please. It happens at about the 2 minute mark on the video. I put the whole thing on YouTube because it's really fun to watch the Mustang's unlatched hood come up on the pair right before my run :biggrin:. If you listen close you can hear it bang into his windshield.

YouTube - 87 Turbo Buick 11.42/121mph pass

Could it be a loose connection or do hard launches actually rattle the sender enough to put out a false low fuel signal? I really don't want to drop the tank if it's not necessary. It's a used sending unit from a reliable vendor on this board and I've had no problems with it reading correctly under normal driving. I am also worried that the same "looseness" could be affecting fuel pump power, if that's actually the issue.

Thanks!

That wouldn't be the low fuel for your alky would it?? Low "fuel" light was rarely hooked up from the factory on the GN's.

I was thinking the same thing before I saw he posted about running C16.

FWIW my alky float sometimes makes the low level light flicker on and off when it gets down to about 1/2 tank. Because the low level light is where I have the LED for the alky tank located.

The Low Level Light of my Razor Alky kit's wired in that indicator hole too(as instructed). Anything under half, and it's blinking every launch.

Apart from the obvious of having too little fuel, I'm getting a strange occurance of the low fuel light coming on for a split second on hard launches. I know I had 8 gals of fuel in the tank since I personally filled it with 10gals of C16 earlier on race day. I only made a few runs before it got dark and I noticed it on my in car video. My steering hand must have been blocking it from my view. Have a look at the linked video below, please. It happens at about the 2 minute mark on the video. I put the whole thing on YouTube because it's really fun to watch the Mustang's unlatched hood come up on the pair right before my run :biggrin:. If you listen close you can hear it bang into his windshield.

YouTube - 87 Turbo Buick 11.42/121mph pass

Could it be a loose connection or do hard launches actually rattle the sender enough to put out a false low fuel signal? I really don't want to drop the tank if it's not necessary. It's a used sending unit from a reliable vendor on this board and I've had no problems with it reading correctly under normal driving. I am also worried that the same "looseness" could be affecting fuel pump power, if that's actually the issue.

Thanks!
I watched your video...and saw the "low fuel" light flash once...I also have that light and I noticed that if the fuel level is a little low, it can happen every now and then that it'll flash, but quickly goes out right after...I wouldn't be concerned as this can happen especially on a hard launch...Nothing to worry about :wink:
Also, what's the gauge you have mounted above your tach which shows numbers changing constantly?...Air/fuel ratio?...

Claude. :)

P.S: Good video btw!...:)

Thanks for all the replies! Actually, the alky tank was full, but I guess I could check the connections there.

justasix: Yeah, the rattling sound. That's a lesson on how much the tail of the tranny moves with a load on it. I had my Quicksilver shifter mounting bolts a bit too long. At rest, there's decent clearance between the driveshaft yoke and one of the bolts. But, apparently the tranny mount allows alot of movement as the yoke rises enough to bang into the bolt. I haven't looked, but you'd think someone would sell stiffer tranny mounts. I have my engine torque strap pretty tight, but that doesn't effect the tranny end. I have since cut the bolt short, so future videos should be more Buick-like.

toofastforyou: That guage is my AEM boost controller. It actually works pretty well, except for boost spike when I first stab the throttle. Other than that, it holds the boost just where I want it.

I'm sad that no one mentioned my really cool homemade laptop mount...:( . Perhaps because it's crooked...