Low boost

hot79sport

my problem is that my turbo 3.8 is only making 6# though it was previosly making 18 # via an adjustable regulator, so i dissconnected the regulator and changed all back to original, but still only 6#, the wastegate actuator arm moves and is not stuck, after taking the turbine housing apart to check the wastegate, it appeared there was buildup and as if the puck wasn't fully sealing the port, can this be the problem? does it make sense? while it was apart i wiggled the exhaust impeller and noticed a little slop, where can i locate any bearings and seals to replace this, any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first post, though ive browsed the site before and and it rocks.

Welcome. :) Central Illinois, eh? Do you know about the Buick Midwest Challenge in Morroco, IN? I might be the only Carb/Turbo going, but it's good event and not far from you. It would be neat to see a "Quick" LeSabre on the drag strip. :)

http://www.chicagolandbuick.org/ (then click on Midwest Challenge)

I had a the "six psi blues" on both my cars. It turned out to be the carb both times. If the secondaries don't open, six psi is about you can get thru the primaries. A clogged cat can do the same (but I suspect that at 18 psi max, the cat is already gone). Try this thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44257

The best deal for bearing and seals may be complete center sections from this woman on ebay (e-mail her, she has more):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1850791572&r=0&t=0

Yes that could be part of the problem. Has for the "slop" there will always play some side to side play, but there should be no in/out play.

Turbonetics sells rebuild kits. If needed. Did the wheels come in contact with the housing?

no the wheel did not touch the housing, though seems to be closer then it should with the play i described, no i did not hear about the drags in IN, we'll see how the cars running by then and maybe give it a shot, never took it to the strip, had planned on it, until this happened.
another question, anybody using a distributor curve kit? if so what springs? my choke has stuck previously, and it does hesitate and cough on full throttle, thanks for the info, reading the thread sounds excactly what im expiriencing, im going to check the carb out tonight and order turbo parts ASAP, thanks again!

I was having a prob. like this also once. Boost went from 12psi to around 5psi. My problem was a poor up pipe seal tho. Used some Ultra Copper on it like suggested here & boost press. is back in the good. I'm getting aound 17 psi. now. My VDO guage stops at 15 psi so I'm not exactly sure but it looks to go a few #'s past the 15.
I'm measuring boost press. at the intake btw.

Hot79sport,
Where you at in IL.?
Central IL. used to be my old stomping ground.
I grew up around Decatur.
Mostly raced @ Charleston but occasionally got to go to Gateway in St. Louis. Never got to race at Indy but was always fun (US NATS!) as was the tracks in Moline & Terra Hoate. I never realized what a hotbed of racing was in the Mid-West until I moved away.:(
Not to mention how big streetracing is up there.
I thought it was like that everywhere:eek:

WOW, 18 and 17 psi. Pretty impressive for both. :cool: How about sharing recipes and how you're preventing/monitoring detonation.

Also, are either of you tuning by A/F or EGT? IF so, what gauges/meters are you using?

i live near i-39 + i80, yes a very lively area for street racing, haven't been to many strips, mostly streets (unfortunatly), my racing is cut down as im prepping my car for paint, right rear quarter is dented , and doors are a little wavy, has original paint from when my gramma and grampa picked it out on the showroom floor 23 years ago at Johnson Buick in Chicago

A-F

I am thinking about adding a digital air-fuel guage but havent yet,
and as for detonation, run a 98 octane blend and spend a long time adjusting timing and finding the right advance springs

Why I know of a Company that sells a recurve kit. It's Moroso. Look in Jeg’s or summit , or our local speed shop.

Has for springs, when I had the HEI setup I found the medium spring(s) worked best. BUT EVERY CAR IS DIFFERANT. So you will have to test.