Low 12's what package

steve1963

I just bought ny first GN 1987 all stock, (don't want to open the motor) what mods are needed for a low 12 sec car that will have good driveabilty also. Suspension as well as performance mods?Thanks

I just bought ny first GN 1987 all stock, (don't want to open the motor) what mods are needed for a low 12 sec car that will have good driveabilty also. Suspension as well as performance mods?Thanks

See my sig..

KS:cool:

Alky kit, turbo, and a chip are all that is needed.

You really don't even need the turbo.

You can almost hit a mid 12 with just a chip and racegas on a stock regal.

Slicks and a E-brake launch will net you an easy low 12.

If you want a low low 12 second all day driver, get the car running up to snuff first of all.
Make sure your maf sensor is either the original one and working correctly, or a newer style LT1/LS1 with translator.
If you have a aftermarket MAF, some of them will not read correctly and you wont get enough fueling for wot.

Must need parts list for longer engine life:

RJC powerplate and boost bleeder valve
New red armstrong quad air inc. spark plug wires
NGK UR5 plug wires gapped at .032
New 02 sensor, use a heated one if you plan on running racegas, or run a ac delco or bosch if your just going to run pump gas with meth
Walboro 340 fuel pump with new fuel filter
Fuel pump hotwire kit, 12v relay to supply consistant voltage to the quick disconnect at the fuel pump tank.
Get a THDP, or another style 3" manderal bend STAINLESS STEEL downpipe with no cat if you can.

Methanol injection will allow you to run more boost and timing, Razors meth kit along with Eric Marshalls computer chips will allow your untouched stocker into the 12s with radial tires and a decent tune.

If you decide to go low 12s with a slow 60', you really should go with a set of 009 injectors, (gt3255,ta 49,te44 turbo) rjc bleeder valve and even with the stock intercooler will be high 11 second territory on radials with a good driver and decent track.
Depending on miles and how many owners the car has had, you probably should check the torque convertor to make sure it is the original one, or a better than stock one.
If the trans has been rebuilt, it most likely has a D6 non turbo convertor and will kill your car coming out of the gate.
HTH
Check my sig and timeslip, never had the valve covers and intake off the engine. Stock turbo as it was in sept.1986 when the car was born.

BW

I forgot about suspension mods.
My white limited in my sig had zero rear suspension mods to it running high 11s. Now i boxed the upper and lower control arms, didnt even replace the bushings, and installed a ATR rear sway bar. It handles better and theoretically should 60' better.

You really dont have to do alot of rear suspension mods for 1.60 sixty foots.

Post some pictures of your car if you get a chance!
BW

Bryan is 110% correct. Get your car in a good stock state of tune with the above mentioned updates. Then proceed with Mild upgrades. These cars are all about the combination & GREAT results can be had by taking Baby steps with a good running stocker.

Some 235/60 drag radials will help your 60'. Not alot is needed to get to mid 12s. Something else is seat time. They are not SBCs and you need a totally different launch technic.

stock items will net you 12.20's with little to be done. From a stock car here is a list of items.

1 scan tool or a good buick tuner with a good scan tool.

Perform the gnttype.org Spring cleaning.

If he original exhaust, replace it. A good replacement is the hooker setup.

If going with the hooker exhaust, replace the cat with the test pipe. Not a necessity but really helps.

Purchase or make your current wastegate actuater an adjustable one.

replace stock fuel pump

I recommend a set of injectors and a good matching chip.

If using pump gas, either buildor buy an alchohol injection kit.

Good tires on the rear.

Make sure all else is in tip top operation.

You will be able to run these times reliably for years to come.

Let us know if you have any more questions.