Loud whining noise when park?

86TType

Slick 86 T-type
My car was idling fine then put in gear a loud whining noise started but when get on gas it stops an while driving it doesn't make it just when idling n gear.. Tranny changes out right an everything... Any suggestions?

get under there with the car running and feel where the vibration is coming from...inspect with flex plate shield off.

No I haven't rebuilt or change converters n about 4 years... Shield off n it seems like the noise is coming from flywheel or converter

Pull on the TV cable while the car is idling and see if you hear a change. If so, time to pull out the trans.......

Pull on the TV cable while the car is idling and see if you hear a change. If so, time to pull out the trans.......
My cars do that and it is normal....you are raising the line pressure in the pump when you do this....normal.

To the OP,unbolt TC and see if noise is gone if so....it is the trans...if not flexplate maybe.

U can barely hear it in park but in any gear it's loud more of something grinding like...

what does the fluid look like?

experiencing any other symptoms? any loss of power, loss of stall speed, vibration etc.?

grinding noise makes me think there might be some internal metal-to-metal contact going on inside the torque convertor...possibly from loss of clearances

Fluid good.... It was real loud but now have gotten quieter... Seems to b coming from converter because when you turn car off u can hear the noise until converter stops spinning... Sounds like scrapping... It's making my motor die down 100-200 rpm..

Does it sound something like... "You-spend-way-too-much-money-on-this-car" or "You-ordered-more-parts-are-you-kidding-me?" Mine sounds like that when my wife is in the car. Sorry couldn't resist.

My noise was the stator as said above..

[quote="Steve V, post: 3140694, member: 11752"

To the OP,unbolt TC and see if noise is gone if so....it is the trans...if not flexplate maybe.[/quote]

Try this yet:)