Loud Ticking from Engine

91Bird305

Just got back from testing the boost controller. Did a WOT run on the eway, short sprint, let off and heard a very loud ticking noise coming from the passenger side. No lose of oil pressure though so I drove it home (live very close) and checked out the noise. I thought it might be an exhaust leak but it appears to be coming from the back passenger side valve cover. The ticking is very noticeable at idle.

I have a comp cam roller setup w/ T&D Rocker shafts.

I just recently had some head work done where I had the heads decked due to me removing an o-ring off the heads.

My question is, what sort of problem(s) am I looking at here? Bent pushrod? Lifter issue?

Hopefully you went with shorter pushrods and i doubt there is any rocker arm damage unless you have a .523 total lift cam and larger

Id check for exhaust leaks.... Put it on youtube, or here,.. let listen to it and see if its bad or something simple like a exhaust leak

BW

Just got back from testing the boost controller. Did a WOT run on the eway, short sprint, let off and heard a very loud ticking noise coming from the passenger side. No lose of oil pressure though so I drove it home (live very close) and checked out the noise. I thought it might be an exhaust leak but it appears to be coming from the back passenger side valve cover. The ticking is very noticeable at idle.

I just recently had some head work done where I had the heads decked due to me removing an o-ring off the heads.

My question is, what sort of problem(s) am I looking at here? Bent pushrod? Lifter issue?

If you are using adjustable pushrods,I have seen them loosen up because the locknut was not tight enough.

Hi.

I would pull valve cover and look. Also, get a stethoscope...they are very handy to have in situations like this so you can pinpoint sound locations. Let us know what you find out.

Steve

P.S. Quick6'n'-K.C. -- How nice to see you gracing us with your great pictures! By the way, you now have a TTA? Congrats.

take the valve cover off and see which rocker is loose then go from there. if you didnt measure for correct pushrods maybe too much preload and bent a valve.

Any GOOD news yet!!!!!

Ok tell me if this isn't odd.

I go to start the car today. And the noise is gone completely. I let it get hot at idle and no noise. No oil pressure dropping. Could it had been a stuck lifter?

Ok tell me if this isn't odd.

I go to start the car today. And the noise is gone completely. I let it get hot at idle and no noise. No oil pressure dropping. Could it had been a stuck lifter?

I have the same deal going on with my car..I pulled my valve cover to check everything and it checked OK. Haven't had the ticking for a while until I went out racing the other night and it came back. I just assumed that it was some trash and the lifter colasped. Started it up yesterday..ticked for about 5 seconds and went away. This is with a stock cam..have a roller setup here waiting to go in but I am just to lazy..:rolleyes:

I have the same problem too. I had it in my old motor and in my new one. I thought it was crank sensor. (Nope) Cam sensor (Nope). Mine is on pass side under valve cover. If you guys figure anything out let me know also.

I think it might be a lifter issue. I am going to switch to synthetic again to see if that helps. If not, I know it is one of the back to passenger side lifters so I will just replace those 2 and see what happens. First I will do the synthetic switch and see if that helps.

I was able to recreate the noise but it wasn't as loud and it went away immediately. I got into it maybe 8 times and out of the 8 it made the sound once (not as loud) and it went away after a few seconds.

fyi: this is a roller setup

This also happened to me. Started the car heard the same noise that it made when the rocker nut fell off. Turned the car off removed the valve cover nothing found. Restarted the car no noise? Cam is a comp roller.

Could it had been a stuck lifter?

Anything is possible. I guess all of us have had gunk or a little piece of something foul a lifter. If that is all it might have been...good for you.

I had the same symptoms once and drove the car too far before I finally stopped to pull the valve cover. Unfortunately, a broken valve spring resulted in a bent push rod and an engine that needed major surgery. Since then, when I hear any weird noises, I stop NOW.

Steve

Comp Lifters

Had the same problem, it is the lifters. Comp roller lifters give alot of problems. They have alot of trash in them.

I have the same noise, passenger side , gets louder when its hot. Thought it was an exhaust leak too. Could lifters be getting bound in their bores? Had this problem when my motor was new, it had cryoed lifters, changed them out and got alot quieter, but now noise is back? Keep us posted in what you find, BTW thats nice looking bird, always liked the 91/92