Loud motor knock and chirp

Nate_Strain

Hi everyone,
Friday I bought my first ever T Type and dang it is awesome. It ran great for 3 days and then last night started making some terrible noises. I had to do a 2 hour drive and it was fine for that whole trip. I arrived at where i was going and about an hour later just went out and around the block. I was turning around in a parking lot and i started hearing a loud chirping and knocking. I opened the hood and there was some smoke and I couldn't locate where the sound was coming from. I limped it back around the block back to where i was parked and tried to go through everything i could think of. The oil was clean and full the belts were all there and there were no fluids leaking out the chirp and knock continued. I went back out the next day in the light to see if i could see anything it started up and made the same sounds however much quieter but then after about ten min it puttered out and wouldnt start after that.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could of happened? I've also wanted one of these cars and i finally get one it it last 3 days before it craps the bed. anything you guys can think of would be great!

Thanks,
Nate

basics!! Pull plugs and check compression! If all is good! Look and make sure the harmonic balancer isn't lose.

...went back out the next day in the light to see if i could see anything it started up and made the same sounds however much quieter but then after about ten min it puttered out and wouldnt start after that...

Thanks,
Nate

It may be the alternator is bad, as it sounds like the battery went dead. Take the drive belt off the alternator and spin it by hand. If it knocks or feels rough you found the problem.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Well guys its a sad day for me. I went through what I could and couldnt figure it out so I brought it my mechanic to take a peak, spun main bearing. Thanks for your help though!

Did you get on it hard when you brought it home?
Have you called the seller?
How much boost was it pulling?
If you didn't cause the problem then it may have been there when you bought it. Don't be a victim if you didn't cause this.

D

I'm fairly convinced it was an issue before I purchased the car. It was from an estate and hadn't been driven since at least 2012. I have no idea how much boost it was running I hadn't even had time to install a gauge, the stock one doesn't read out. I didn't get on it that hard, my mechanic said it was good to go but to break it in easy because it hadn't been driven is so long. Ive talked to the seller and havent had much luck.

Did your mechanic pull the main cap to confirm its spun? Chirp and knock sounds more like a cracked flex plate....??

Mains usually don't spin first, the rods do. As mentioned, pull the spark plug wires one at a time and see if the noise goes away. Of course, put the one you pulled back before pulling the next.

You're brand new to these cars, Probably the first and " MOST IMPORTANT " thing to know about these cars is not to trust the average mechanic out there,Even if he is a good mechanic, If he's not Very Well Versed on these particular cars, find one that is .
I can't stress that point hard enough get someone that knows {{ Turbo Regals }} inside and out ,not just the mechanic that does your oil changes/tuneups/exhaust work in the corner garage or local chain.
The average mechanic at most garages these days will give you very bad advice on these cars,while all the while thinking they are giving you sage advice,and some will tell you do this or that or try things just so they don't look like they don't have the answer,and it can cost you dearly,These cars have their own set of do's and dont's.
Same goes for if it does need engine work now,have someone that has built a bunch of buick turbo motors,not just any shop will do.

You should also start reading as much as you can possibly read on this site and start to really familiarize yourself with these cars,and ask lots of questions ,you have the largest assembly of the most knowledgable Turbo Regal people in the universe here ,and always willing to help
with problems.
A good place to start also is to list all your known modifications that were done to the car so the people here giving you advice will know what the car does and doesn't have on it.
Is it a hot air car, or intercooled ?

A boost guage and a Scanmaster are going to be must have items after you get this problem sorted out.

Last edited:
what end of the country are you in? perhaps there is a board member nearby that can lend an ear.

a main bearing is not going to make that much noise without leaving metal bits in the oil filter, so plan to cut it open when you change the oil next.

Bob