Lots of issues with XP and internet connectivity - experts??

gnXfan

GNless but Debtfree too!
Lots of Cable Internet access issues with XP - Please
help!
Just got a new notebook comp running xp. Was on a desktop
with ME and Comcast Internet over a motorola 4100 - was
basically perfect.

With XP now:

I need to power the modem on and off any time I power on
and off the computer or awake from standby. Even then - I
may or may not get an internet connection.

Reinstalled the intel pro/100 ve card - no help. Running
repair says - unable to flush the arp cache. Did that
manually - still have connectivity issues.

Ran the help and did a network scan:

DHCP Server = Failed
DNNS Server search order, failed

Any ideas? Makes me sick to even think of having to
reinstall XP 4 days into ownership.

Thx,
_BOB

try turning off the power management, hibernation, and "stand by" in both the BIOS and XP for when you are "plugged in". Just have it so when you shut the lid of the laptop is "does nothing". That will probably take care of it. If not, let us know and we can take the next step by messing with your configuration

OK - that was the first thing I did. All that is off.

Still - if I restart the comp - I have to shut the modem off and hope.

My tcp/ip settings are fine. Still does it.

So it worked fine with ME, and not for XP, that truly is hard to believe. Is this xp pro or home edition? Are connecting to the modem via ethernet or usb? There maybe a newer XP driver required, or perhaps a newer firmware required for the modem. You say your ip settings are fine, when it boots up and does this have you run an ipconfig? Lots of questions I know, just trying to get a better idea on some things.

Well, I went by this line:
or awake from standby

So, do you have standby and hibernation turned off or not? Do you have it set that when you close the lid it "does nothing"

Also, try removing sharing services and the QOS protocol. Have nothing but your card and tcpip loaded.

Try new drivers for the enthernet card.

Try windows updates.

Check back here if it still doesn't work.

:D

This may or may not matter, but make sure that the built in firewall is disabled and then try it. It's in the Advanced Tab of your Local Area Network properties.

Oh yeah, and you should also try disabling the power saving features on your NIC. They are in the Power Management Tab under the properties of your network card in Device Manager. You can also try hard coding your link speed and duplex mode in the Advanced tab of the network card properties if all else fails.

BuickMike called out some excellent suggestions, as did others... do not allow powermanagement to disable or even fiddle with your NIC.

Do you have anything like ZoneAlarm or Sygate running? I doubt it (a lot) but have to ask anyway.

For me, I have several ports around the house I can plug into - all going to the same switch. For some reason with the work Laptop(xp), one port refuses to work MOST of the time with 100 FullDup! I suspect its a termination/patch cable issue on my end so you might swap yours also. In my case the dang thing will auto detect and setup for 100 but really only works reliably set at 10. A second laptop(98) will ONLY work at any time set for 10 HALF dup. In both cases, as mentioned I set the negotiation to manual. Too lazy to deal with it so I just use the workarounds since XP/IBM has a nice config switcher :D

Gotta go! Lots more to read!

Shawn

Originally posted by striker_29
So it worked fine with ME, and not for XP, that truly is hard to believe. Is this xp pro or home edition? Are connecting to the modem via ethernet or usb? There maybe a newer XP driver required, or perhaps a newer firmware required for the modem. You say your ip settings are fine, when it boots up and does this have you run an ipconfig? Lots of questions I know, just trying to get a better idea on some things.

New computer (friday). Has XP Home, my desktop had ME. Directly to the modem via Intel Pro 100 VE Ethernet card.
I have all the latest XP microsoft updates and Intels latest driver for the card. I've swapped the patch cord with a 'known good one';) so we know it ain't that.

Originally posted by tjthorson
Well, I went by this line:

So, do you have standby and hibernation turned off or not? Do you have it set that when you close the lid it "does nothing"

Also, try removing sharing services and the QOS protocol. Have nothing but your card and tcpip loaded.

Try new drivers for the enthernet card.

Try windows updates.

Check back here if it still doesn't work.

:D

It is set to 'do nothing'.

I'll try removing QOS and sharing.

Thx.

_BOB

Originally posted by BuickMike
This may or may not matter, but make sure that the built in firewall is disabled and then try it. It's in the Advanced Tab of your Local Area Network properties.
Did this yesterday as well as shutting off power mgt in the nic's properties.

Try instead of rebooting the modem, go start ->run type command, then type ipconfig /release <enter> then ipconfig /renew <enter> and see if all is well. If not, try http://192.168.1.1 or .100.1 (I forget) to get to the cable modems service menu and see if you have a WAN IP. If not I suspect the cable modem isnt "staying on the line". I have XP on my laptop over WAP to my Linksys router into my cable modem, and my connection doesnt drop EVER. I mean, I can turn off all my PC's leaving only the cable modem on and if I bring a PC back up, the net works fineAlthough, I had my in laws PC to the 4100 via the USB port and it all of a sudden stoped working. Cant get it to work for the life of me. Gonna go put a NIC in their PC and connect via 10baseT to see if that helps.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Try instead of rebooting the modem, go start ->run type command, then type ipconfig /release <enter> then ipconfig /renew <enter> and see if all is well. If not, try http://192.168.1.1 or .100.1 (I forget) to get to the cable modems service menu and see if you have a WAN IP. If not I suspect the cable modem isnt "staying on the line". I have XP on my laptop over WAP to my Linksys router into my cable modem, and my connection doesnt drop EVER. I mean, I can turn off all my PC's leaving only the cable modem on and if I bring a PC back up, the net works fineAlthough, I had my in laws PC to the 4100 via the USB port and it all of a sudden stoped working. Cant get it to work for the life of me. Gonna go put a NIC in their PC and connect via 10baseT to see if that helps.

http://192.168.100.1/startup.html

and the ipconfig commands work - still have the issue though:mad:

my event log shows a ton of these errors:

The computer was expecting data from another computer but has not received it. Either the other computer is not sending, or the thread on this computer that listens for data has encountered an error.

Man thats pretty strange. I might would try running a tracert on the gateway, and dns addresses, just to see how many hops your getting. Then I might call comcast and raise hell:D Good luck, keep us posted.

well

Sys restore did it. The only possible thing that I can think of was a bad uninstall of the antivirus software that came preloaded.

THx for all the help - I appreciate it.

The "home" version of 'cillin might leave a little to be desired.... I DO really like the corporate stuff.

Thanks