Lots of blowby

Finally got around to removing the timing cover. Had to make a car show before I tore it apart. The hole linking the timing gear area to the lifter valley is not even big enough to get my finger through.
I drilled and tapped the plate that I welded onto the timing cover where the fuel pump block off plate used to be. I'm going to use a -8 AN pipe fitting there and run a line to a separation tank. That should double the amount of blow-by flow capacity out of the bottom end.
I was right about checking the area where the flow from the bottom end has to get around the front main cap, from the bottom pan area to the timing gearset area. There was some modifying that needed to be done to the drysump pan and the cork gasket to allow better air flow between the bottom pan area and the timing cover area. I'll post some pics of the mods, soon.
The front crank seal was worn out big time from all the crankcase pressure pushing on the lip of the seal. I'm going to skip checking the rear seal and get it on the next PMing. It hasn't developed a leak, yet.

Took the car out today. The smoking at the end of a run is gone, but I had to wrap a rag around the breather separation tank filter element to catch the oil that's now wanting to spray past the small filter element. This breather separation tank gets blowby from the new blowby venting hose at the timing cover and the drysump oil holding tank. I'm going to get another breather tank so that each can have its own breather separation tank.
The separation tank catches about 1.5 tablespoons of oil. As long as I change the rags every couple runs, the fix is manageable, for now. The next PMing of the motor, I'll be adding 2 or 3 more 1/2" holes in the face of the block. For now, I'll be increasing the size of the valve cover breather hoses to 1" each, and then taking a close look at the vacuum pump to figure out why it doesn't seem to be doing its job.

On the first run I didn't have a rag wrapped around the filter of the breather separation tank and a small amount of oil sprayed from the filter. It's interesting where the oil sprayed to. The separation tank is located on the firewall, on the driver's side. No oil sprayed onto the firewall, or onto the brake master cylinder that is mounted right beside the breather tank. Instead, the oil traveled all the way to the front of the left inner fenderwell, near the oil storage tank located at the front left corner of the engine bay. The oil was blown forward away from the firewall. :confused:

A low pressure zone building under the hood?

Almost forgot. New best 60'. 1.35.

Here are some pics showing the notch I made to the bottom pan and the pan gasket to match the contour of the sealing surface that is part of the timing cover. This allows better breathing from the bottom end to the front cover area.

Attachments

• IMGP2088rs.jpg
    IMGP2088rs.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMGP2089rs.jpg
    IMGP2089rs.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMGP2090rs.jpg
    IMGP2090rs.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 231
This shows the small window that's available for breathing between the front main cap and the installed timing cover.

Attachments

• IMGP2097rs.jpg
    IMGP2097rs.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 220
There are also two small holes that allow breathing at the upper right and left of the main caps where the main cap seats against the block, as seen in this pic.
The other pic shows the small hole drilled into the front of the block that allows breathing between the front cover area and the lifter valley.

Attachments

• IMGP2094rs.jpg
    IMGP2094rs.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMGP2095rs.jpg
    IMGP2095rs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 221
I had to add these. There just so pretty.
This is the bottom end of an alcohol engine with oil that has been left in for a considerable amount of time. This was probably the longest time interval between changes, and the hardest abused change of oil, and it looks like I could have left it in longer.

Attachments

• IMGP2092rs.jpg
    IMGP2092rs.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMGP2091rs.jpg
    IMGP2091rs.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 236
Believe it or not, I didn't have to disturb the exhaust system or turbo mounting at all to perform this modification. This pic shows the alternator removed with the air pump still to be removed.

Attachments

• IMGP2108rs.jpg
    IMGP2108rs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 227
This is what the job of removing the timing cover looks like at first from underneath the car.

Attachments

• IMGP2113rs.jpg
    IMGP2113rs.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 224
The crank pulleys and timing wheel removed. Ahhh, we're starting to see the timing cover.

Attachments

• IMGP2112rs.jpg
    IMGP2112rs.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 218
Some pics showing the amount of room available to work on the timing cover, even with the turbo still in place!!!

Attachments

• IMGP2105rs.jpg
    IMGP2105rs.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 455
  • IMGP2102rs.jpg
    IMGP2102rs.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 474
  • IMGP2103rs.jpg
    IMGP2103rs.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 466
The AN fitting installed on the timing cover, and how it looks installed on the engine with a hose end plugged on.

Attachments

• IMGP2085rs.jpg
    IMGP2085rs.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 446
  • IMGP2107rs.jpg
    IMGP2107rs.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 445
OK, last one. All pictured out.
This shows the routing of the breather hose to an existing breather tank I had mounted to the firewall. It also acts as the breather tank for the drysump oil tank.

Attachments

• IMGP2110rs.jpg
    IMGP2110rs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 471
I wonder if extra breathing room is why Buick changed the shape of the pan under the timing cover on the 20 bolt pans?

I wonder if extra breathing room is why Buick changed the shape of the pan under the timing cover on the 20 bolt pans?
I'm sure crankcase breathing is much less of an issue on a production passenger car engine. My particular problem didn't become an issue until I hit around the 900-1000 bhp level. Not to mention that I feel a lot of the problem has to do with a dynamic ring sealing issue I'm having with this particular engine build.

So there are no breathing holes in the valley of a TA block?
Yes. There are no holes in the valley, which is generally what you want if you plan to use a drysump oiling system. If the plan is to wetsump the engine, then you would need to drill holes to allow oil drainback.
The stand offs with the holes, like blownV6 showed us, is a good idea that can be used with the drysump system. It allows breathing between the valley and bottom end, and keeps oil from falling onto the rotating/reciprocating assembly.