Lost All Oil Pressure

twinrats

Turbo Lover
Father's Day was taking my 18 year old daughter out to father's day dinner in GN and noticed engine was missing under very light acceleration:confused: but once it gets into boost the miss goes away and runs normal:biggrin: a few minutes later I make a hard launch:biggrin: and look down at gauges (GNX Dash) a see 0 OIL PRESSURE:mad: takes my feeble brain a couple of seconds to believe what I'm seeing and shut engine down and coast into parking lot. As I'm going thru what just happened I try to restart, crank engine over for 1-2 seconds...does not try to fire so I call AAA:mad: . Engine has had really good oil pressure all the time, has fresh melling pump coated bearings and RJC deep pan. Did not hear any weird noises before I shut it down...no knocking or lifters ticking. Hoping cam sensor roll pin broke causing oil pump to quit and preventing timing sync for restart.....will check tomorrow.

What do you think:confused: ?

I think you're right, assuming the fuel pump comes on for a second when you first turn the key. I can't think of anything else that would keep it from starting once shut down and kill oil pressure too. You should have a code for the lost sync. I used the cam sensor ground as my security device and if I hit it while driving I got a check engine light after a few seconds and a code. It would personally make me feel better if I found a code...

Just discovered that indeed the roll pin holding the gear on the cam sensor has sheared off...now need to replace/figure out why it let go:confused: .
I'll let you know what I find out.

I'd be willing to bet that your oil pump seized. That happened to me years ago. We freed the oil pump up with a big screwdriver. My mechanic asked if I wanted to put the cam sensor in and go. We pulled the motor instead. I was planning on having it rebuilt in two weeks anyways. Why damage it before then?

Problem solved??

Replaced sensor with a new one, engine started with no new noises and same oil pressure as before. Changed high pressure oil pump spring to factory spring. Lowered oil pressure to 55-60 cold at idle and 42lbs hot at 2000 rpm. Now I'll check the cam sensor gear again after 500-1000 miles and see it has any abnormal wear.