Lost a family member today....

jdpolzin

Well it is a sad day today. We lost our family cat today. Her name was Dave, yes my dad named her Dave for some reason??!! The thing is, she was the closest in age family member to me. She was 20 years old. I was 6 years old when we got her. She weighed less than 3 pounds and had 7 kittens. She was a Siamese. I went out to see her for the last time before she died today and my dad had her laying in a box on a towel. I think she was happy when I showed up becuase she tried to move around as soon as I came close to her. She was unable to close her eye and move her back haf of her body. She tried to lick my hand but could barely open her mouth. She had to of weighed less than a half pound today and we were with her till she died. I know it's not as bad as losing a human family member but she has been around for the majority of my life. I can just be happy she lasted this long but I can say she always had a loving home so that probably helped. This is only the second time I have seen my old man cry.:( Dave was a very loving cat and slept next to me for almost my entire childhood! What a good cat! RIP Dave! --------Jeremy

Sorry to hear,
I got 4 cats and not looking forward to that day.
My wife loves them more than she loves me:D

That sucks . Sorry to hear that. It feels like you lost a brother. I did that many years ago when my first dog passed away.I was a basket case for weeks.I feel your pain. its not easy. Time will ease your pain. keep your head up .Dave is watching. take care

Sorry for your loss

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, my dogs are aging and I can only imagine how you feel. :(

Sad to hear about your family cat, thats along time for her to live.
Im not looking forward to my family cat dying, she is 18+

9 lbs and doing OK i guess

Attachments

• Picture 028 (Small).jpg
    Picture 028 (Small).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 188
I feel your pain, just a few weeks ago I was at work and got a text message from my mom telling me that our cat Toby had died that day. Kinda wished I hadn't gotten the bad news at work, wasn't expecting it. We have another cat at home but the one that died always spent more time with me and hung out with me at night and it was sad to see him go.

On the bright side though I'm planning on visiting a few shelters with my girlfriend to find a new buddy.

Sorry to hear your loss, and I feel your pain, been there myself with various animals I've had.

Thing is it doesn't matter if it was human or not, it was family and that's what counts...just rejoice all the years you got to spend with her and know she's now up in the clouds chasing after an unendless supply of mice.

sorry to hear about your loss. i know how you fell when i lost my first pet. i have really goten attached to my Cat Gixxer and i dont want that day to come. he is about 2 or so so it will be awhile.

Sorry to hear that:( My Golden Retriever died about 6 years ago. he was 13.. I still have trouble with it..

Jeremy:
Sorry to hear about Dave. I know how you feel. I am getting ready to lose my cat who has been with me for about 20 years or so. Not easy. At least she is out of pain now. Time will heal the loss, and the pain will diminish.

Sorry to hear that. We have a Ragdoll cat that is 13 years old and a chinchilla that is 15 years old! Going to be tough when either of them goes.

Thanks guys! Yeah it's pretty odd her daughter Jaz dies about 3 years ago. We figure she was about 16 years old. Dave was around for a long time! My dog Toby is going only 3 but he is a Mastiff/Lab mix so I dont know how many years he will alst but that will be a rough day. I was sitting here thinking about it last night, when he dies, what do I do with his body? He's a HUGE dog so I dont think i could dig a deep enough hole but on the other hand, do they hae emergency cremations? Or do you have to have your dead pet in your house unitll your appointment?

I know a guy who had a taxidermist do his Mastiff, did a good job dunno if thats route I would take but to each their own.

Sorry bout your cat, pets are always tough loss.
I just took in a preg stray with 7 toes and bobtail whos ready to pop anyday, dunno what im gonna do then and my cat is not happy about having this new squatter

Thanks guys! Yeah it's pretty odd her daughter Jaz dies about 3 years ago. We figure she was about 16 years old. Dave was around for a long time! My dog Toby is going only 3 but he is a Mastiff/Lab mix so I dont know how many years he will alst but that will be a rough day. I was sitting here thinking about it last night, when he dies, what do I do with his body? He's a HUGE dog so I dont think i could dig a deep enough hole but on the other hand, do they hae emergency cremations? Or do you have to have your dead pet in your house unitll your appointment?

>>> Three years ago we lost our Mastiff and was almost 200 pounds, we made it to the vet with him on a Wednesday night and he laid down on the vets floor and never got up. His kidneys started to shut down and he passed as we were in route Friday morning to put him down.

We got to see him, they wheeled him in on a big handcart due to his size and weight. We had him cremated and and is in a box in our home.

I will take the company of dogs over a few people I know.

>>> Three years ago we lost our Mastiff and was almost 200 pounds, we made it to the vet with him on a Wednesday night and he laid down on the vets floor and never got up. His kidneys started to shut down and he passed as we were in route Friday morning to put him down.

We got to see him, they wheeled him in on a big handcart due to his size and weight. We had him cremated and and is in a box in our home.

I will take the company of dogs over a few people I know.

Buicksx2, bummer about your Mastiff! I sure love mine although if he is not happy the house tends to get trashed! How long did your Mastiff live?

Mcassteel, I do know a taxidermist! I just dont really know if I could handle seeing him not alive! Not a bad idea if you have the space in your home though. I'll sure miss him when he's gone, hopefully that doesnt happen anytime soon. I have to spend $1000 on his leg because he tore his ACL. This is just a small amount of what he as cost me though. I just got done 10 minutes ago taking couches out of my basement that he decided looked like a good place to take a leak! That and 2 months ago, he decided a box of red Sharpes' look yummy to eat on my new tan carpet in my living room. Then last Wednesday, he decided to get in the cabinets and pull out a few packets of red Kool-Aid to eat on my tan Dining Room carpet. He's lucky I love him!!!!! This weekend, he decided to rip the metal his cage is made of to get out and succeeded and his cages is not cheap!!!! FREAKIN DOG!:biggrin:

Sorry for your loss. I was never a cat person till my step kids rescued a abandoned kitten from a neighbors house. We've had her (Kalli) 11 years now. She is a great pet full of attitude.

My friend had his rottweiler stuffed. She was an awesome dog.She was only six years old when she passed.A little weird if you ask me. My rott is 6 years old . I like him more than my brother. I would prefer creamation.

:( sorry to hear of Dave Jeremy. we've all been there one time or another, God Bless and remember time eases all pain. I still think of mine every odd day and its been over 22yrs. It just doesnt quite hurt as much as it use to. Take care