Loose Timing Chain = Knock?! Ooor…?

motorhead

motorhead mike
My LC2 has developed a “knock” while running.

From what I can tell it ISN’T, rather SHOULDN’T BE, for the following reasons:

Coolant in oil: The oil was changed after a few minutes of run time and a quick drive… and didn’t have a trace of a “milkshake” in her. There was some worry a month ago that the dribble of oil that got in my block would toast the bearings. Heck, it is still sitting slightly “fuelled” in a bucket in the garage.

The car wasn’t over-rev’d during the first test drive… saw MAYBE 3000rpm and 8lbs of boost before the front wheel fell off (see: http://www.turbobuicks.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/000225.html for more details). There was NO damage to anything under the car related to the engine or suspension.

Also, the next day AFTER the rotor was replaced it ran fine and quiet…

It was just upon restart yesterday that the puppy started making some noise.

Things I am leaning toward:

When I has doing the “refresh” on my engine I didn’t have a torque wrench at the moment I was doing my timing chain (but DID for everything else) and had already re-installed (and “glued”) the front cover. I did the “torque by feel” thing (flame away) which has been VERY successful in my SS’s 350 (over 6000rpm many times) (yes, I know: Buicks aren’t Chevys). And I fear the it may have backed itself off. Would this introduce a “knock” or “clank”?

There was an odd “clink/clunk” that happened once while rotating the engine by hand at the flywheel… leads to believe something is loose.

There was also a “procedure” used while changing out the rear main seal that had the crank “popped” out of its mains so that the block side of the stock rope seal could be removed. My Dad, the licensed mechanic and former TR owner, did this but said: “If you pull the crank up too far you can tweak a rod and bend it”.
Since there is NEVER a sure thing with cars… this could have happened too.

I am going to have the Torque Converter bolts checked for looseness and the flywheel checked for cracks.

The oil is still visually clean… has about 60kms on it. But the filter hasn’t been changed… and I will cut it open for inspection.

Also the starter has failed… it is being replaced tomorrow (with a 95ish LT1 F-body unit)

I’ll have to check for broken rocker shafts too…

And worse case: Pull the pan… and the mains… and rod caps… and inspect.

Would it be odd that with 25-40lbs of oil pressure at hot idle (60+ cold) that it could still spin a bearing? It still has these figures with the noise.

Things we have checked for:

False knock… my brother wrapped a towel around the stock free-hanging (read: open and dangling) down pipe… noise was still present.

Checked for a loose elbow at the turbo… and loose DP bolts… still “knocking”

Believe me I have spent about 2 hours reading up on the “possible” false knocks and real causes and inspection manners… but I have found nothing that might equate to the timing chain torque specs… which to date… is my only oversight.

Sorry for the novel, but I have tried to cover as much detail as possible… need more… just ask :)

Mike
Just to throw some stuff at you... Are you sure the noise is internal? I once developed a knock, and it ended up being the idler pulley bearing, and another time it was the alternator bearing. It sounded like an internal knock and before I found it was just a simple bearing, I had replaced my timing chain and was ready to tear down the motor. :rolleyes:

Paul

Originally posted by Sleeper
Mike
Just to throw some stuff at you... Are you sure the noise is internal? I once developed a knock, and it ended up being the idler pulley bearing, and another time it was the alternator bearing. It sounded like an internal knock and before I found it was just a simple bearing, I had replaced my timing chain and was ready to tear down the motor. :rolleyes:

Paul

Thanks Paul. :)

I am REALLY searching for suggestions like these BEFORE I start pulling silly things off the engine. I don't do this just for kicks, ya know :rolleyes: ;)

The funny thing is: that with the impact of the car jarring against the pavement when the wheel came off, it could have accelerated "wear" of anything in that engine bay. I have a spare idler pulley sitting on the floor next to the car so I'll try that. Another alternator would be an interesting find at the moment... it is going to cost me near $300 to do the starter! :eek:

Heck, you heard this thing run on Saturday... nothing sounded out of the ordinary.

Go figure.

The hunt is on!!!

Is the knock a constant tempo or does it go up with RPM?

Could you describe this "procedure" when you changed the rear main seal? Are you saying that you managed to move the crank outwards, while the caps (except for one) were in place?

I hope I'm wrong, but from what you have described it sounds like a spun bearing. Try a stethoscope, it will quickly eliminate any external sources of knock, and cut open the oil filter.

...Mike

cam button?

Years ago before I changed my t-chain mine developed a knock and turned out to be my cam button had went away when I replaced mt t-chain set. The "knock" went up&down w/rpm. Did you forget the button? I've done sillier things!:( Did you forget the chain tensioner? Stk replacement chains stretch quickly.

Originally posted by Mikey
Is the knock a constant tempo or does it go up with RPM?

...I wish that I could tell you this... but since my starter is dead... I can't get her running. We had to use the "Ford Wrench" just to free it up enough so that we could continue to check the set up of the cam sensor. :rolleyes: I'll reply to this directly when my "new" starter arrives today.

Could you describe this "procedure" when you changed the rear main seal? Are you saying that you managed to move the crank outwards, while the caps (except for one) were in place?

....No no. :) We pulled off ALL of the main caps and popped the crank up at the back. There was NO front hub installed on the nose of the crank. This is how we gained access to the stuck rope RMS.

I hope I'm wrong, but from what you have described it sounds like a spun bearing. Try a stethoscope, it will quickly eliminate any external sources of knock, and cut open the oil filter.

...Will do. Thanks.

Re: cam button?

Originally posted by ITSAV6
Years ago before I changed my t-chain mine developed a knock and turned out to be my cam button had went away when I replaced mt t-chain set. The "knock" went up&down w/rpm. Did you forget the button? I've done sillier things!:( Did you forget the chain tensioner? Stk replacement chains stretch quickly.

It has a brand new roller cam button. I set it in place and held it there with some grease... and I checked to see that it was in properly after the cover was reinstalled. I added a double roller from Speed Pro... and left the tensioner out of the equation.

Thanks,

It could be the double roller chain hitting the front cover. Some of the guys on here have reported that certain roller chain set ups are too wide and will drag on the inside of the front cover.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
It could be the double roller chain hitting the front cover. Some of the guys on here have reported that certain roller chain set ups are too wide and will drag on the inside of the front cover.

Thanks Lee :)

When it gets to that point I will definitely look for signs of wear/contact on the inside of the cover! :D