Looking to purchase a GN, have a few questions

Amacjarrell

I am looking at purchasing an 86 GN local to myself. I know that the brakes and trans are the weak parts on these cars. That being said, is there anything in particular I need to look for when inspecting the car ?

I am looking at purchasing an 86 GN local to myself. I know that the brakes and trans are the weak parts on these cars. That being said, is there anything in particular I need to look for when inspecting the car ?
Look into Kirbans guide to purchasing a used GN

Post your location, maybe someone local will go with you. If possible, post pictures, mileage, mods, etc. Remember that paint is ~ $6k, transmission $2k, rebuild the motor ~$4k.

Post your location, maybe someone local will go with you. If possible, post pictures, mileage, mods, etc. Remember that paint is ~ $6k, transmission $2k, rebuild the motor ~$4k.
I am located in Charleston, Wva. I know the engine has had some work done to it, the trans as well. Not really sure what at this point. I saw it at a car show, talked to the owner, got his number and took a quick spin. I had to run, didn't have a ton of time to talk to him unfortunately.

If I get a mod list from the current owner, and I posted it up, could you guys tell me if the stuff is junk or not ? He is putting down 430 hp 500 ft lb of torque, I do remember that.

No respectable GN owner wouldn't be a member on this board ( at some time in his life) , ask him if he is a member. He had to get some knowledge somewhere to make the power and keep it alive. When you get your list of mods find out how old the mods are. Some of the upgrades have gone thru several versions such as the aftermarket ECU's. The brakes themselves aren't the wink link, the "Power Master" can throw you several curves. Look for RUST. I have a roller that is near perfect except over the years where dirt has accumulated at the front and rear sections of the wheel well trim, it has started to rust. Hopefully you two can come to terms, you get the car and can enjoy it.

If he was/is a member ask him for his name on the board. Then do a search for his name and all of his posts will come up. Then you can see what kind of issues he might have had and weather or not he was able to fix them. A little sneaky but well worth your time.

Thanks guys for the help thus far, I have seen the dynosheets so I don't believe he is lying to me.

Made 420rwhp and 503rwtq on a dynojet
Engine:
3.8 V6
Bored .30 over and honed
arp rod bolts
arp main studs
billet steel center caps
new cam bearing and freeze plug
steel forged micropolished crank
balanced rotating assembly
resurfaced heads
port matched heads to intake
comp valve job
autolite 23 sparkplugs
43lb injectors
PTE 6262 Precision turbo running 20lbs of boost
new actuator
Precision intercooler with 3 inch piping
snow performance methanol injection
RJC boost controller
RJC pulleys
RJC valve cover breather
dual exhaust with cut out
Buick motorsports valve covers
Big electric fan set on 200 degree timer
walboro performance fuel pump
factory ac intake ( needs charged)
Interior:
Grand National gray black
Grand national floor mats and dash plate
Pillar gauges ( air fuel and boost Methanol injection light
console oil pressure and water temp
Factory digital boost and rpm still work
all dash gauges still work
Aftermarket cd player with aux hook up
Black with a repaint
painted black grill
like new GN emblems
few chips here and there ( car has been cruised)
tinted windows
Factory chrome wheels
chrome exhaust tips
painted bumper guards as well as wheel well trim
Gabriel ultra shocks all around.

I do know that the car has a small patch of rust on lower rocker. Like I said, it was night when I got the ride and when I first took a ride. I do not know how bad it is at this point. I have been working like crazy. I know that these cars love meth, but how hard is it on the engine ?

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    590.9 KB · Views: 145
That isnt a bad looking car at all. Mods look great. The engine compartment and components listed are way nicer than mine, I am jealous.

Check around the ECM area for dampness, this can lead to nightmares ! If poss. run thru a car wash then crawl around in that area for leaks. They all leak around w/shield and upper cowl area especially the T-Top cars. Time well spent!!

Looks WAY WAY WAY better than my '86 GN. Mine was a non-running basket case that has not even been tagged since 2000.