Looking for used Regal GS....

troGNman

Got Portholes?
I'm gonna be in the market for a used or off-lease Regal GS in the coming month. Preferrably a '99 or '00. Mileage in the 20's or low 30's. I don't want a hi-mileage car.

What do I look for as far as abuse or wear and tear?
What are the trouble areas to avoid? Climate controls, heated seat, etc.?

It's not gonna be a drag racer, just a nice family cruiser with brisk performance.

I'm leaning towards a green or white car. I've had it with black!

TIA for any input.

I don't think you can avoid the climate control problem as it seems universal, check out regalgs.org for more info. I have had my 97.5 for a few months now, it has 80,000 miles on it and really seems great.

Regal GS

I have looked at several of these cars and have seen the following problems be common.

1. The display for the climate control goes dim or completely out. I have seen this on more then half of the cars I have looked at. It is a very common problem. I think a new one is around $800.00 The display is all that goes bad the controls still work.

2. The cupholder is very weak. This was also a recurring problem.

3. The leather wears poorly. I have seen several where the leather was not taken car of and it discolors or the shiny coating starts to peel off.

4. The locking mechanism between the back seat and the trunk in the middle of the back seat. It is normally cracked or broke. My guess is that someone leave the lock tap up and tries to close it and it breaks the support for the lock tab.

5. The window seals on the bottom of the door windows. This sometimes gets brittle and cracks and breaks off in small pieces.

That is what I have seen the most of.

I think the prices of them are coming down with the rest of the used car market. Look closely. I bought a used 98 from a private owner with everything but the heated seats for 9K and it only had 37K miles on it. I thought that was a good buy.

Mark

GSXNUT,

You can repair the climate control unit yourself if you have a soldering gun and about three hours of time. There are directions of how to do this on the above link. I agree that the cup holder is weak, I just leave mine open. The leather in mine seems fine and that could be a problem in any car if it is not taken care of. My pass through does not even have a lock on it. The window seals on all cars age and grow brittle if they are used and wouldn't consider it a knock to the regals. It sounds like you got a heck of a deal on yours.

Mark and Darren,

Thanks for taking the time and helping me out with some of the minor problems on these cars.

It WILL NOT deter me from purchasing one. I tend to weigh the good against the bad and will still come out waaaay ahead if you know what I mean. The car is the perfect size for me and my small family and the driving pleasure will be worth it. I have test driven several new GS's from my local dealership, but couldn't quite settle in for 27 large. I don't want to go the lease route, because I tend to keep cars for a long time. My current ride is a '94 LeSabre w/ Touring Suspension that rides and handles well, but is a tad too big for me (my wife loves it).

Thanks again for your input.

p.s. I just got the 2003 Regal brochure in the mail and I can't believe that the factory horsepower rating hasn't increased since '97.5!

I have a 99 you are more than welcome to buy off me

still has a 2.7 year warranty on it ;)

mint with 51k miles on it.. ALOT of freeway miles as I go from chicago to milwaukee alot.

Jon

Regal GS

Darren,

I agree with you I do not see the leather as a knock only that if you are buying one you may want to inspect if closely because leather can wear if not taken care of.

I also agree on the window edges. Over time those things happen. We were looking mostly at 98 and 99s for the price and I did not expect them to be perfect just another small item to look at.

I obviously did not let it deter me either. We bought our Regal GS just yesterday but I have always thought they were a good car for the money on the used market. I think they are a little price for a new one but I think that of most cars so take it for what its worth.

I did check out the link and saw the fix. I will be doing that as soon as I can. Better then paying Buick for a new one that will most likely do the same thing in a couple years.

Thanks for all the great information. I am just starting to read more about the mods. I want to do some basic stuff to mine. It should be fun. I had a 87 Turbo Regal but it was stolen last January and not recoved.

I also have a 1970 Buick GSX.

Buick is in the blood here.

Mark Macoubrie

i bought it off a dealer.. it used to be a corporate car.

black/silver

heated seats

i have an extended GM warranty

always put redline in it

before i took delievery of the car i made them flush the transmission and change the filter, and change the fuel filter. I also have them change the valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets (they tend to seep after age)

I dont really NEED to sell it. Its just I think I'd rather have something different.