Looking for replacement spindle and lower A-arm

Slowhawk

I'm rebuilding the suspension on my 87 GN and plan on getting the UB upper A-arm setup,but my spindle and lower a-arm are in bad shape(rusted beyond repair-to look good)

I would like to get new replacements if they are not to much $$ instead of spending countless hours trying to restore these.

Thanks

New spindles and arms are still available from GM. Suggested retail on the spindle is $229.22 and the lower arm is $188.23. I have had no problems finding nice straight and clean parts at the salvage yards. Just find a car with no obvious damage to the front end. For example when ever I need front suspension parts or drivetrain stuff I just look for vehicles that got rear ended. Stay away from anything thats been stolen. Those cars usually have broken steering columns. You never know what got bent during a joy ride.

Eric Fisher

Thats great in Florida but up here everything rot's to the ground.You very rarely find a G-body that isn't crushed or big rot holes all over it.Damn salt and winter:(

Originally posted by Slowhawk
I would like to get new replacements if they are not to much $$ instead of spending countless hours trying to restore these.
Thanks
Once you remove the A-arms, spindles, and brake shield, find someone that will sandblast them for you. Spray them down with brake cleaner to degrease, and paint with POR 15 or other rust preventive paint. They'll look better than new, and will be much cheaper.

You can get a front end kit from PST suspensions for the bushings and ball joints for about $150. You can buy the outer tie rod ends with ball joints cheaper at a parts store than buying PST's bigger "kit". I did not replace the inner tie rod ends or idler arm.

Great resource for G bodys, besides gnttype.org, is http://www.montecarloss.com/technical.html , and look for front spring removal and replacement procedure.

Sometimes you can find used Bilsteins for reasonable $$ on the board. Good time to replace axle bearings, races, calipers(cheap with core trade-in), brake lines to caliper, and brake pads. Performance friction ceramic pads have great stopping power with hardly any dust also. I still have stock rotors but the Powerslot ones look nice, but $$.

Thanks for the reply's.I actually bought the PST kit tonight:) Already have new Bilstiens and front springs waiting for install.Thats a good idea about having the parts sandblasted.I already have POR since I've been doing the frame and floor with it.
Now I will get the new calipers and paint them up,might even go with new rotors/bearings while I'm at it.

I hope my wife respects how much time and $$ I'm putting into her car:(

Originally posted by Slowhawk
Thanks for the reply's.I actually bought the PST kit tonight:) Already have new Bilstiens and front springs waiting for install.Thats a good idea about having the parts sandblasted.I already have POR since I've been doing the frame and floor with it.
Now I will get the new calipers and paint them up,might even go with new rotors/bearings while I'm at it.

I hope my wife respects how much time and $$ I'm putting into her car:(
Email me if you have questions. I had never done suspension work before, and learned a lot. The spring compressor was a real pain, but I've read about some tricks since then.

On the rotors, be sure to spray them with brake cleaner to degrease them, and sand them before painting. The POR 15 does not want to stick to a smooth surface like the tie rod ends, etc. If I did it again, I'd do the POR 15, then apply another coat of the POR 15 or their topcoat product. I used foam brushes and it smoothes itself out like glass.