Looking for info on old Kawasaki KZ's...

J Banning

Quench my thirst with C16
I'm looking for any bulletin boards for info and sale/for sale sections related to Kawasaki KZ 1000 and KZ 1300's. I have one of each and need to read up on them and also find a few parts.

Tanks,
-Banning.

not sure of any forums, infact i would like to know myself. i own a 77 kz1000 with 11k miles, its in mint condention and has been garage kept for years. only little problem theres a no start problem (something fryed in the electrical system) and i dont have the time nor the money to try and figure out whats wrong with a bike i never drive.

Banning,
I owned a 73 Kawasaki 500 two stroke (3 cylinder). That thing was downright dangerous (I have a 12 inch scar on my left knee from that bike). Fastest production bike manufactured, from 72 to 75 except for the Kawasaki 750 two stroke.
I did find a few sites while looking for info on that bike recently. I will retrace my steps and see what I can get you. I did see stuff on the 1000's..

Joe

KZ websites

I might be able to help you out...I have a 1978 KZ650 and have been researching a while for parts as well. Try this:

www.kzrider.com

They have a section for each type of KZ. Enjoy!

Ed

One of the bikes (the KZ 1000) needs both fork tubes, both tripple clamps, full exhaust, and turn signals.

Please let me know if any of you come across any decent sites for "For Sale" or "Wanted" items.

-Banning.

Check out ebay they have thousand of parts for old KZs. My dad was a Kawasaki mechanic for many many years . Between my 2 brothers and myself we have 7 KZs from stock to full out street fighter bike. I have a bucket of turnsignals laying around somewhere Ill have to look.

Originally posted by jdodman
Banning,
I owned a 73 Kawasaki 500 two stroke (3 cylinder). That thing was downright dangerous (I have a 12 inch scar on my left knee from that bike). Fastest production bike manufactured, from 72 to 75 except for the Kawasaki 750 two stroke.
I did find a few sites while looking for info on that bike recently. I will retrace my steps and see what I can get you. I did see stuff on the 1000's..

Joe

Hey Jdodman, I had a '74 750 triple engine mounted in a Yamaha Banshee frame that I was racing the sand drags with. I got the motor after my dad wrecked the bike and refused to rebuild as fear that I would kill myself. Probally right too! Only ran it 1/8 mile one time at 108mph. Got scare and someone in Louisanna wanted the bike more than I did and I sold it to him.

memmories

my first street bike at age 16 was a 1981 GPZ550 ----basically just a KZ with small fairing (guess it was the start of the riceburner era)

bike was already modded with 4 into 1 header that I had to repack with steel wool every other week

carbs were aftermarket with good filters

when cold this bike would not hold an idle took forever in the morning to rev and warm up ---neighbors hated me

but for my 6'2 160lb ass (back then ) it hauled ass and was loud

paid $1,000 for it 1 yr later traded it in on a yam seca 650 turbo and got $900 for it

I think the 550 was faster than the 650 turbo but the turbo looked bad ass with the full fairing and the word turbo across the windscreen

hey Joe, you had my bikes little brother. I bought a new '72 H-2 750 2 cycle. God what awesome power that thing had from bottom up. Not knowing to leave well enough alone, I port times it, dry clutched, and ran racing chambers also. Wasn't much on turns, but on the straight, it was pure power. Left several Pantera's behind on the freeways and shamed a guy in a Hemi Cuda to no end. LOL, those were great bikes weren't they.

Mark

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but: How many of us are of the age(I myself am 43) where we missed the first golden age of muscle cars(the 60's) and were to poor to buy a NEW car in the 70's but our need(stupidity!) for speed led us to bikes. I currently still ride the Suzuki GS1000SZ I bought back in 82 and before that had a GS 1100 and had at one time a KZ900. I remember cruising main street and at one time there were more rice-rockets than fast street cars for a while. We didn't have a strip close enough to race at so there were a few places were the street race action was heavy and I would make an average of about 10 runs a night beating, and being beat by you guys on the KZ's(and a Mach 2-strokers). I finally gave up street racing when I was able to afford a car that was faster than the bikes(my 86 GN). You know the funny thing is even the bike guys have respect for our cars as I can only remember racing one bike on the street, and I kicked his azz.
BTW when ever I need a part for my Suzuki I go over to www.bikebandits.com and look through their on line catalogs. The Kawasaki catalogs dont have a lot of illustrations but the part numbers are there. They'll tell you to go to www.buykawaski.com for the pictures but that site isn't good for anything older than 10 years.
Eric Fisher

Mark,
I also hate the hyjack the thread but....

Yes - Those were 'stupid fast' bikes. I was 19 when I picked up the 1973 500 cc - 3 cylinder 2 stroke. I also modified it a bit with expansion chambers and the 3 velosity stack, open intake carbs. That bike popped a wheely in almost any gear. It was light and extremly fast. I was told Kawasaki stopped the 500 and the 750 because of pollution standards in the mid 70's (2 stroke was a smoker)but years later I was told Kawaski was also nervous about a pile of lawsuits that were mounting up because of all the deathes associated with those 2 bikes. I was lucky and only broke my knee in a bad crash. Several guys in my town either died or had serious lifetime handicaps from those bikes. They were later tagged a suicide machines ..

I guess these were the original crotch rockets of their day !!!
Although by todays standards they are probably slow...

Joe

ya know, i was down in the basement today trying to figure out a way to turbo the kz1000:D i think i have a layout figured out.

Used Bike and ATV parts? Gimme a call:

614-279-1942

http://www.atvstuph.com

Board member owned and operated.

Also you could e-mail me with your parts needed and I will check the inventory and see what I can find. TB.com members get a discount!

No hi-jack intended , but this thread brought back alot of memories as well :) . another Kawi 72 H2 750cc Triple owner . mine was custom painted Candy Metallic Ruby Red with hand painted gold lettering and pin striping. a matching "Rickman" 3/4 fairing along with chrome expansion chambers ,38mm jetted Mikuni carbs , K&N filters , ported cylinders . had it when I was in high school .It was a GREAT looking bike and was stupid scary fast and handled like a joke on those K81 Dunlops . pulling the front end up comming out of a corner and keeping it in the air for 3 gears with a "snap of the wrist" was a ton of fun !!!!! never saw a tach needle move so fast on a bike . a buddy of mine got a hold of ay rare H2-R engine . which was a all out race version of the H2 engine but had a dry clutch and billet looking cylinders and heads . I almost dropped it in but my buddy would not sell it to me . in fear that I would kill myself with it . WHAT A BIKE !!!!!!!! :D :) Thanks for the flash back :) .

One more diversion from Bannings original thread...

In searching thru all the Kawasaki websites, I found one that had the statistics on the 1973 Mach III 2 stroke Kawasaki 500....

450 pounds soaking wet
0-60 2.8 seconds..
top speed 115.

This bike was the Grand National of motorcycles, ..in it's day. Also stated the bike had terrible braking and cornering and was too light for the incredable torque it produced.

I remember pushing down on the handle bars, with all my weight, when I launched that bike, just to keep the front end on the ground. The back tire was constantly trying to pass the front tire.
When I think of all the close calls and thrill rides I had on that bike, at 19 - 21 years old, I am lucky to still be alive.

Originally posted by jdodman
One more diversion from Bannings original thread...

In searching thru all the Kawasaki websites, I found one that had the statistics on the 1973 Mach III 2 stroke Kawasaki 500....

450 pounds soaking wet
0-60 2.8 seconds..
top speed 115.

This bike was the Grand National of motorcycles, ..in it's day. Also stated the bike had terrible braking and cornering and was too light for the incredable torque it produced.

I remember pushing down on the handle bars, with all my weight, when I launched that bike, just to keep the front end on the ground. The back tire was constantly trying to pass the front tire.
When I think of all the close calls and thrill rides I had on that bike, at 19 - 21 years old, I am lucky to still be alive.

I always heard rumours that the 500 triple was actually faster than the H2 750 triple . never found out :) .

Kind of an interesting coincidence that several of us on the board, with Turbo Buicks, also owned 2 stroke performance Kawasaki's in the 70's.. I guess some us never outgrow the 'Need for speed'....