Looking for good divorce attorney (not for me)

jhanson1750

just a 10th quicker
Well guys, one of my best friends was served with divorce papers on Thursday. I am trying to find some help for him. He has spent the last year doing more than I ever could to try to save his family life. I have read through the papers he was served and I cannot believe what she is trying to do to him! If anyone in the Houston area has had to deal with this and has first hand dealings with an attorney that they would recommend please let me know with a PM. Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide. Thanks Jon Hanson

Jon, your best information will come from that regional area. My advice is to contact top attornies in that area who do not handle divorce cases. Ask them "If they had to hire a top divorce attorney, who you hire?" Do that with enough attornies and when enough of the same name starts popping up, that speaks volumes as far as how respected and worthy an attorney is with his or her peers. It's what I was advised to do, it's what I did and I could not have made a better choice. My outcome was staggering, especially compared to how it started out.

Best of luck.

Thats an idea that we had not thought of! I know what most of the folks are thinking, yea not for him....hmmm. But I can assure anyone that my marriage is as solid and any of us could ever hope for. The guy that I'm trying to help out is looking at the paper work that he was served with and they want him to not touch his Camaro (81' with a nasty 406 all motor that went 11.80) and any thing having to do with their bank account or anything in the house. Its like his wife is expecting him to wake up, go to work, eat, sleep, move out and give her his entire paycheck. I just don't want to see a great guy get screwed out of everything he has ever worked for. Jon Hanson

My advice to anyone going through a divorce where they are not the jacked up one is to "lock and load"! Being the nice guy will only get you screwed. Divorce is really a war, no matter how "nice" you try to make it.

I agree! Having gone through one myself. I have tried to explain this to him but he is not really himself right now (neither is anyone who is in the middle of this situation). Thanks Jon Hanson

My advice to anyone going through a divorce where they are not the jacked up one is to "lock and load"! Being the nice guy will only get you screwed. Divorce is really a war, no matter how "nice" you try to make it.

Well put!!! I've been thru it and let me tell it ain't pretty. He's gonna have to launch a counter offensive immediately. Not only is he gonna need a good divorce lawyer but also one who is good in family/child support court. IDK if Texas has two separate courts that handle the two. Here we do and I got screwed on both ends. 90% of the outcome was my fault because I went to a gun fight yielding a cub scott knife.

it tokk me over 2 years,they want the whole world given to them,NO MATTER WHAT DO NOT GIVE IN UNLESS YOU HAVE TO,i wish i would have had a crotch rocket at the time,i would have taken her for a fast ride down the interstate and pulled a nice wheelie.:biggrin:

Jon, your best information will come from that regional area. My advice is to contact top attornies in that area who do not handle divorce cases. Ask them "If they had to hire a top divorce attorney, who you hire?" Do that with enough attornies and when enough of the same name starts popping up, that speaks volumes as far as how respected and worthy an attorney is with his or her peers. It's what I was advised to do, it's what I did and I could not have made a better choice. My outcome was staggering, especially compared to how it started out.

Best of luck.

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that if you ask a lawyer a question he is not obligated to answer to the best of his ability, but if you pay him, he is. At least that's what a friend told me, so what he did was go pay a couple of lawyers for one hour of their time and had them give him the top 5 divorce lawyers they would choose. Cost him a few hundred bucks but he picked a name that was near the top of both lists and came out ok. Like he said, definitely check with local lawyers who know the system where your case will be handled.

The only people that win

are the lawyers. Whether your friend wins of loses, he is going to pay the lawyer. If possible, the parties can agree on terms and do without the lawyer which will save money on both sides. When the mudslinging begins, it is not going to be pretty. Hopefully the kids dont get dragged into it. Hopefully your friend and kids will attend Divorce Care (at your local Church). I wish I wasnt knowledgeable about this, but... Good luck to your friend. Oh yeah, if he has joint accounts, better correct this NOW!!