Looking for good cage info and A good cage builder within a few states of Minnesota?

BetMinesFaster

Turbo LSX Trader
Hey guys, I have dicided with all the work I have done to this car to have a cage done as well, That way if I feel like going to the track and turning up the wick I can. I am a little concerned about cutting holes through the body and into the frame that I just put all this work into. Its gonna be a bummer either way to completely redo the underside of the body and the frame completed and powdercoated to start cutting and welding again but I guess thats prob the only way to go about it. Im just hoping to find a good shop to make the most precise cuts and be the least invasive leaving the least anount of touchup posible. Is this to much to ask or hope for?:confused: And how is it to service body bushings and such once a cage is installed? How do you seal the floor around the cage bars? If you weld them it would kinda defeate the purpose of the body mounts? Is there any approved method of making a cage removable without a sawzall? Like a smaller tube welded into the frame that slides snuggly inside the primary cage tubes and gets bolted through? Im sorry for all the dumb questions, the whole roll cage thing just scares me a bit because its so invasive. Any info and advise would be great.:smile:

Your "bestest friend"... An NHRA rule book.
As for bolt in.. nope.
As for shops.. Jack Pendzimus, and Bob Peterson have, or have had, fast Buicks, in Minneapolis. They had chassis work done locally... Maybe, contact 1 of those guys, and see if they can give you some input...

Cage questions

I've decided to do the same thing you have and am waiting to get it done. My builder is a local guy (central IA) that had a side business in Colorado doing tube chassis and cage work. Custom cages are his specialty. To what ET does the chassis/cage need to be certified? Are you thinking crome moly or mild steel tubing? Are the stock seats staying or are you getting race seats?

I will locate a rule book for sure. Im not certain what it needs to be good for, but mid nines would seem ok. Its gonna be a 427" LSX with a PT101, so the power potential is there. Its gonna be a stock suspension car though with just a notch and rolled quarters. But I have seen stock suspension cars go stupid fast, even on 325's....So I just want the cage to be good enough to turn up the wick on this thing at the track and not be told to slow it down. Ill look those guys up and see who did their cage work, I just want someone to take as much pride in my cage and its fittment and appearance as I have taken this far in the build, as well as not butchering my car to install it more than needed and give me a good fit and finish....and if possible without a second mortgage:eek: