Looking For An Owner Of One Of The Five Alcohol Test Cars The Govt Had Back In 87

smokinttype

if you are one...ide like to talk with you.....i have one of these cars.... they are the RAREST CARS IN THE BUICK FAMILY THERE ARE ONLY 5 i know where one is but its been stripped and nothings there but a shell and the gas tank...which is one thing that you can identify them with...along with other things too...if you have any info on these cars or know anyone that owns one or used to...please let me know...all of these cars were sold at one time to the same person in '99.....who is the owner and driver of the "underdog" car...if your familiar with him.....i dont know if he sold the rest of them or what? or if he still has one or 2 left his last name is dotson...thats all i know....this was the story i was told by the guy who bought the car from him...who also did underdogs machine work...any info on these cars would be appreciated:)

I believe there is one that belongs to a guy in Pigeon Forge, Tn. Met him up there at the rod run. He works at the Shoney's..

Sorry, but that's all the info I have.

Dotson has one at Buicks in Bristol a few years back. I think it was Blue? 47K miles? Just off the top of my head, could be way wrong. It was for sale.

:cool:

Thank you guys!!! I know they were all sold at auction, and if the story is correct that I heard....Dotson bought all of them....at the same time and then sold them individually one at a time....I happen to be on Ebay a few months back and I happen to see something a guy had on there he called it a "mystery box" what it was was the harness for the pumps...the guy had no idea what it was....I knew what it was as soon as I saw it...he had it for sale for $10....but its no good unless you have the rest of it...I hope the guy held onto it.....b/c he has a piece to one of these cars...theres no telling what these cars would bring say 20 years down the road....im gonna hold onto mine until I die:)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do any of you have any more information on these rare cars? Your post is the first time I have ever heard of them doing this. If any of you have any more information and don't mind posting it, I would be very appreciative.
-Jeff

Yeah, someone was selling a blue T a while back with 47k miles...good price too. Faded interior and needed paint, but otherwise clean.

yeah wow i have never heard of this...they did methanol testing on these cars back then? that's really cool!

they did this testing on the cars at UTK right?

i wonder if dotson has any of the parts left over?

Jim Dotson is a friend of mine. He bought the car for a resell. I haven't talked to him in awhile, so i'm not sure if he still has the car. He bought it, changed a few things to get it running good and put it up for sale. The cars were used at UT for the tests. They sat for years till auctioned off.

There was an article on this years ago in the GS-Extra. It explained about the cars and the testing.

This is cool stuff. I had seen a couple of threads that mentioned these cars but never heard of any cars surviving.

Would you be able to post a pic of your car?

Rich:D