Looking for a new Flat Tap. cam

texasturbo

looking for a new cam for my GN. Flat tap. mild lift and quiet. I have GM lifters new in the box and ZDDP for the breakin. Any suggestion and experiences is appreciated. Also, who is selling the cams that do not have the groove cut into the first journal? I like that idea!

Thanks in advance for your input..

The Edelbrock 204/214 is the same cam as the ESP stage 3. I had a stage 4, same as stage 3 but with a 108 LSA instaed of 112, in my old TR and it idled nicely and pulled well.

With responses like this, why do we even have a msg board?

Seems like I'm noticing this more often.

Wow...take it easy.
A guy tells someone to call the vendors cause he didnt do a search and is going to use them anyways to purchase the cam. And you get snappy jeez.

Will tell you that a 205 210 is a noisey grind and steer clear of that grind.

Not sure if any of the listed cams (above) have the NON-grooved front journal he was asking for. The austemper roller cams do have a NON-grooved front journal. Not sure if they will grind a cam for flat tappets, though. Good question. Call Comp Cams, and ask them if they can supply you with a 206/206 in austemper (IF it will work in a flat tappet application)for a flat tappet. Pay to have it nitrided, too. Here is the grind number: COMP Cams® - Cam Details

Their phone number : 1-800-999-0853 talk with a tech guy. Be persistant about the non-grooved front journal. They will try to sell you an off the shelf cam that is grooved, I would think. Let us know what they say. You are the first to ask about the non-grooved front journal in a while. I've never had a "big" issue with the grooved journal, though.

204/214 for me plenty of torque and pulls nice. very quiet too. i got this from a board member FRANKG i got the cam, lifters and spring combo for like $120 or so. been in my car for quite a while now with no wear. its an excellent choice

I am using a Comp 206/206 in my 4.1. Seems good so far, but I have less than 100 miles on it so we will see.

anyone can say they like the cam they have but you need to find the cam that is proven to stay alive without flattening number 3 lobe. the 204/214 is a proven cam that has the reverse taper on the number 3 exhaust. if the cam lobe is dead center in the lifter bore it will not spin. the only reason the lifters spin is because 1/4 of the lifter is hanging over the edge of the bore causing it to spin. the number 3 exhaust lifter bore is a 1/2 inch between the other all the other lifter bores are 3/8 between them. this was a factory defect causing the lobe to die. well the cam i got has the taper reversed causing the lifter to spin the opposite way

Erson pulled up the blueprints for the 208/208 and 214/214 for me and they both have the reverse taper as well.

Joe

Erson pulled up the blueprints for the 208/208 and 214/214 for me and they both have the reverse taper as well.

Joe

Erson cams Rock!! Altho that 204/214 sounds good? Just never tried one but will be on a budget build this year! Thats how it starts anyways! we'll see?

I'm interested in popular flat tappet cams also. Any thoughts on the 208 cam from Full Throttle w/ 440 lift? I plan to do springs, lifters, cam, pushrods, and maybe a new chain/oil pump since I'm in there on my 85,000 mile engine. What cam do you guys suggest for pretty aggressive street/strip action?

-Andrew

204-214

the 204-214 cam has worked great for me times in sig, better times to come too with more boost

Ol ruggles 110/105 still turns on hard.......:biggrin:

Roller coming to a GN near you soon.............:biggrin:
waiting for the lifter test results.:confused: