Looking for a little Powermaster help near Houston

bq93

Hello.

New GN owner here. I’ve had turbo fox body Thunderbirds for several years and always lusted after a GN. Recently my wife surprised me with an incredibly clean 86 and I’m having a great time.

I’m already suffering from the dreaded Powermaster problem and I’m looking for some help from someone in the Houston area. When I run the diagnostics it appears I have a bad accumulator (hard pedal, brake light flashes on when you touch the brakes, etc). The problem is that the previous owner told me he recently replaced the accumulator and gave me the old one and the box the new one came in. I trust him that he did the work so I’m hesitant to shell out $200 for a new accumulator if that isn’t the problem.

I was wondering if anyone around North Houston (I’m in Huntsville) has a known good accumulator they would let me put on my 86 temporarily just to see if that is the problem. I would pay you for your time and effort, give you a deposit on the accumulator, or whatever you need. I’d just like to make sure that is my problem since the one on it is relatively new.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joey.

Joey, did you ever get this figured out? Your symptoms are pretty much right on with a bad accumulator ball. Good luck.

Not yet.

Someone pointed me toward Conley's in Houston so I am going to give them a call in the morning and see if they might have an accumulator.

Being a newbie I just hate to throw $200 at a part that might not solve the problem.

Can you tell me how the quality of the original accumulator balls compares to the newer reproductions?

If you know of a shop around Houston with experience working on the weatherstripping and window adjustments in these cars please let me know.

The car is in overall great shape, but I do have a few issues to address.

I actually happen to be in Houston this and next week if you need some assistance if diagnostics. I may can spare some time over this weekend if needed. PM or email me if you feel you need some help. I am around the NE corner of Houston but I have been told that nothing is far from anything around here.