Looking at getting 20" Rims, any thoughts?

my1stgn

Im looking t getting 20" rims for the GN. If you guys think 20" is too big or too "ghetto" then stop reading right now and click on another post as this doesnt pertain to you.

Im looking for specs on people who already have 20" rims. Backspace, etc. Pretty sure I want 20x8" up front and 20x10" in the back. I have the back framed notched and the wheel wells cut. I am also running weld pros 15x10 with 28x10.5" slicks with no rubbing.

Eventually I plan on lowering the car 1-2" so any thoughts would be appreciated and if you can posts pics thats awesome.

I did a search and found good info but looking for more. Thanks

I have 19's on mine riding on the stock ride hight. I would advise you to find the lightest wheel possible.

Mine are Iforged. If you go to there website you'll see that they have some nice styles.

NICE! How much those wheels weigh compared to stock and how much $$$ where they?

I'm not at home so I don't have my files but I know they were a lot lighter than Ashanti's and other rims I compared them to. I think I payed close to 4k for rims and tire's.

I thought you wanted to go fast! LOL. Now you want 20's! Make a decision mang! :) :) :)

And make darn sure that you upgrade the brakes, if you haven't already. The unsprung weight of a heavy 20" wheel will make your car stop in a longer distance.

I see it all the time in my shop where all the blinged up Avalanches, Estalades, and 'Burbans have 20, 22, and 24" whells/tires- And then leave on the dinky little stock brakes!! It takes about 60 extra feet to stop from 60 mph with a set of 20" wheels/tires on stock brakes, as compared to the stock 16" stuff.

Just want you safe dude!

John

And make darn sure that you upgrade the brakes, if you haven't already. The unsprung weight of a heavy 20" wheel will make your car stop in a longer distance.

I see it all the time in my shop where all the blinged up Avalanches, Estalades, and 'Burbans have 20, 22, and 24" whells/tires- And then leave on the dinky little stock brakes!! It takes about 60 extra feet to stop from 60 mph with a set of 20" wheels/tires on stock brakes, as compared to the stock 16" stuff.

Just want you safe dude!

John

PS. Those 20's WILL take away some of your performance. Not only because of the extra unsprung weight of the rubber and wheels, but also because they will change your overall gear ratio.

I have the stock brakes on my car but I don't drive to fast. To tell the truth I've never had anybody try to race me on the street or freeway

Do the 20"s and go fast. This is a TR not an IROC, we can do both. Now for the track get you some drag radials and a smaller wheel, taller sidewall will help w/ hook, but I love my GN on 20"s...the involuntary loss of traction in street trim is worth the look to me. but I could care less if it runs 11.9 or 11.0.....really, I could care less.

I thought you wanted to go fast! LOL. Now you want 20's! Make a decision mang! :) :) :)

You right... and your right. Thats why at the track I use Weld Pros with slicks and skinnies up front, but I dont street race so no need to have light race rims on the street or anything crazy. Just like the way the 20's look (seen a few GNs with 20's and even other muscle cars too) and they looked good. Chip Foose uses 19-20" rims on his cars and they look great. With the 20's on I still should drive the way I normally do but good point on the brakes. I will probably do disc's in da back and eventually upgrade the front. But for now, just want the looks of 20's. Looking in particular for black centers with a chrome lip. Anyone have some pics up? Thanks!

btw, mine are;

F- Boss 338- 20x8.5 w/ 5.25 BS and 7/16 wheel spacer, 245/35-20

R- Boss 338- 20x10 w/ 6.25 BS and 1" adapter, 275/30-20

F- Bell Tech spindles, and Moog 5658s w/ KYBs
R- Moog 5385s w/ a coil removed, KYBs, and rear disc conversion (thus the high BS wheels)

Mine are matte black with brushed aluminum lip. I have close up pics on my car domain like below

btw, mine are;

F- Boss 338- 20x8.5 w/ 5.25 BS and 7/16 wheel spacer, 245/35-20

R- Boss 338- 20x10 w/ 6.25 BS and 1" adapter, 275/30-20

F- Bell Tech spindles, and Moog 5658s w/ KYBs
R- Moog 5385s w/ a coil removed, KYBs, and rear disc conversion (thus the high BS wheels)

Do you have more pics? how close are the tires to da frame and fender? How much lower are those springs?

You right... and your right. Thats why at the track I use Weld Pros with slicks and skinnies up front, but I dont street race so no need to have light race rims on the street or anything crazy. Just like the way the 20's look (seen a few GNs with 20's and even other muscle cars too) and they looked good. Chip Foose uses 19-20" rims on his cars and they look great. With the 20's on I still should drive the way I normally do but good point on the brakes. I will probably do disc's in da back and eventually upgrade the front. But for now, just want the looks of 20's. Looking in particular for black centers with a chrome lip. Anyone have some pics up? Thanks!

Just giving you hell......... :) Same reason I did 17/18s on the GN.

Do you have more pics? how close are the tires to da frame and fender? How much lower are those springs?

Look at the wheel pic thread that was started last week, I have several pics on there. I have 2" spindles and 1" springs in the front...but it may be lower than that now that it is settled, it tucks wheel in the front. The rear is 2" spring w/ a coil removed, but is so firm I will be changing that...the rear is barely tucking tire however and I love the look.
I cut lips out of F&R fenders and I run the inner liner in the front when turned 75%+, but I can go lock to lock and it just tread rub a safe amount.

i think 20s look sick on gns i ran 20 all around before , now im running 20 in the front and 22 in the rear asantis , and i am running baer brakes all around its a must with bigger wheels !!!

wheels

here is pic form before and after the black rims where custom made with the buick logo on center cap.the red ones are the new asantis sorry for the pic i will take some better ones once they slap the new engine..

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4,228
  • asanti 22 and 20 005.jpg
    asanti 22 and 20 005.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 8,486