looking at an 86 non turbo regal today

CamoDeafie

welp. just found a $400 Regal, 1986 model, looks like a limited, or custom, cant remember trim levels being different from the Centuries i usually look for...it apparently runs and drives, needs headlight buckets, maybe header panels....headliner's sagging....guy is asking $400 for it, and its still available, looking at it in the afternoon..

well, got the link for the pics just now, he took all these pics, and it shows apparently a carbed v6 engine, with the extended rad fan shroud....seems theres some body damage, im not sure about the front bumper...is this indicative of a possibly bent frame?

1986 buick regal pics

its cheap, and i havent found a G body for under 1000 that were in this good of condition comparably......lol. seems to run, drives, needs tires, bodywork, since i took bodywork classes in high school, 10 years ago....i could work on it and not worry about thefts in my neck of the woods, since I live right across from a HS and in one of the OK neighborhoods in Salem....where crime rate is higher than where my parents live.

i;m just more concerned with the frame being straight, is there any way to tell short of getting 4 new tires and then jacking the car up onto jackstands and put in an X of twine or masking tape to see where the center is? I mean, maybe its just the bumper...hopefully thats the only thing. my dad thinks $250 is a good offer for it, I'm of the opinion $300 is more like it....but since it runs from what the guy says, as well as having had the trans rebuilt a few years ago....and had a tune up before being parked...oil looks OK.... 'least the guy is trying to show everything with the car short of the interior...

Good build for a drag car, gut everything inside and throw a big block in there???

LOL. nah. looking more to do a well built NA 231 engine build....and resto-modding it, heck have a local shop do latino style pinstriping nad panel fading....i dont know yet, theres a reputable shop named The Latino Touch who does awesome lace and metalflake paintjobs on the local lowriders' cars but leave the stock wire wheelcovers and steelies until i can find a set of 15x7 alloys for a good deal (read, $100 for a set of 4 or something like that)

Id get it for 400 bucks the frames not bent the impact shock is collapsed thats all it appears to be...

lol you guys are funny. yeah, $300-400 should be very good for the car, i'm looking at it for sure tomorrow with the dad (hes the ride and cash guy, i'll pay him more than half the cash needed and then pay him off in monthly plan).

It will be worth $400 FOREVER. Buy it, drive it for a couple of years, put it on ebay and it will bring your money back. You will be out what ever you spend on getting it the way you want it. Cheap transportation.

From what I can see from pics, she's been bumped around a bit but looks factory outsides, no cruise control, empty coolant overflow and overfilled oil level, any bets going for blown head gasket or rotted out timing cover?
I dont see much rust but you should carefully check frame above and rearward of rear axle(very prone to rust out), '84-87 Regals had very soft coil springs that tend to collapse, even when they were quite new, Landau top and badge are usual clues to "Limiteds", but without seeing the interior for the "coffin handle" door straps or illuminated passenger dash plaque, can't tell you if it's full boat, if I had the time and where-with-all for a project like her, I'd resto-mod it with a 3800 fuelie and 700-R4, and maybe a few other tidbits, but she is deffinately worth asking price. Good luck.

Kevin.

lol. i'll look at it in the day, and then see how it runs...if it runs awesome, then possibly buy it... i'm considering keeping it NA carbed engine.....for the time being....maybe build it like a high compression torque beast with lots of airflow, lots of power....4bbl something...see what happens.

Buy it. Drop in a 455 Buick V8 with matching TH400 trans. Upgrade rear to 3.42 gears. Enjoy.

well. if i cant drive it just yet (cant afford to flatbed it to my apt ..F* my life) its sitting...the guy has informed me that it would likely need 4 new tires...and license tags of course...and i'm apparently the only one interested in it...so anyone on here that lives in the pacific NW that may be willing to buy the car for their own projects? i personally would like it myself, but who am i kidding, i dont have a DD, dont have shop space to work on cars other than mother nature...lol