Looking at 01 Z06 today

rag93vette

Have been toying around with the idea of getting rid of the 93 Corvette for a Z06 for awhile now. Wife says if thats what i want go get it!

Only problem is that i might have to get rid of GN to do it. If that is the case i might have to just keep what i got. But boy do i miss having a manual transmission. Its always fun to have at least one around. I guess ill have to see what 385 horses with a six speed feels like today.

I read elsewhere that if you drive one you will buy one. We will have to see if that is true today.

If you get the Z06, make sure you get a good deal. I think the 01 Z06's value is going to drop a lot since the 05s have 400 HP on the base model.

I've driven a Z06 and I'll admit they will absolutely scream, you will be impressed! With that said, I would rather have a GN for the simple fact that they are different and may be shrouded in more folklore and mystery than any other car made! In other words, don't sell the Gn ;)

I'd wait a year and get an '02. When the new model comes out, current prices are going lower and '02's are lot more plentiful (and better) than '01's.

Just pick up a coupe and mod it...I slaughter stock Z06s with mine. They usually aren't pleased about it either:D Cartek in NJ just got some preliminary #s on their stock cube twin turbo car, 1016 RWHP and 940+ RWTQ. There's a lot of potential in the C5s and LS series engines.

FWIW & IMHO:
If you like your GN, I would not get rid of it for a vette, Z06 or not, and especially a '01. Gn/T-Types/Turbo-Ts/GNX's are holding their own economically, anyhow, and that is more than i can say on the vettes. GN's are climbing in value while vettes are dropping in value. Unitl the Z06 replacement is out in abundance, the value of C5's, especially Z06's is going to continue dropping. I would like to believe that the current decline in value of the C5's and Z06's is going to turn around shortly, but I don't think that it will. If you are determined to get a Z06, strongly recomend the Z16, of which was a 1 year run of 2,025 cars, which will, in time, probably be the only real collector cars out of the C5 line-up. Striking car, too. If I could afford to get rid of my current '02 Z06 without taking a bath, I would do it in a heartbeat, and get a Z16. If i could not have both the cars that I ahve now, and could only have one, it would be a really tough decision, but I think that the '87 13.5K mile turbo Buick that I have would be the keeper. If you have not been out Turbo Buick shopping recently, yoou just can't imagine how difficult and pricey it is to find a super clean, super low mileage, '86-'87 solid roof Turbo Buick. The 6 speed is somewhat less than desireable in bumper to bumper stop light to stoplight traffic, too. Also, fwiw & imho, I would not get a Z06 if you can't afford to get into at least a '02 Z06. There were numerous changes between the '01 & '02 other than just the horsepower. "02 Z06 or newer, or nada.

Some good vette sites to study:
www.z06vette.com
www.digitalcorvettes.com
www.corvetteforum.com
www.highspeeddriving.com

A vette, any vette, regardless of monetary value, will never attain the cult status that the GN'S have, regardless of what they do better

rag93vette I understand your point. Lose the '93 and get ANY Z06 you can, but keep the GN. With out a doubt the Z06 is the best all around perfomance buy on the planet. It is World Class. With the traction control on my wifes will flat out leave my buddies '01 Viper. The '01 is the most economical. 0-60 in 4 sec. for under 35K and its not 17-18 yrs old. Unless you are Mr. Racecar driver you'll never feel the difference between the '01 and '02. The cheaper '01 may afford you to keep the GN.

FWIW & IMHO:
If you are still entertaining the idea of getting a '01 Z06, make sure that the oil consumption problem was taken care of. A sizeable amount of '01 Z06's had a problem with the rings, and severe oil consumption condition emerged even at low mileage. Pretty much the minute you drove the car off of the lot. There is/was a recall on this, and a lot were fixed at dealers. I would still recommend an '02 Z06 or newer, as there were many small changes between the '01 Z06 & the '02 Z06, that added up to the overall package difference. The 20 horse difference was only a small part of the overall change package. A lot of the 20 approximate changes involved weight reduction.

Severe? Some may be worst than others. I've had to only add one $4 quart between oil changes. The harder you drive it the more oil it will use just like any Hi-Po car. The '01 was reported to have that problem though. Wait until the new Z06 comes out. When they do the '01 to '04s will drop 5k. Get the '02 if your budget allows. Get a C5 period. Even a '99 up 6sp. Conv. so you can keep the "rag". You'll forget about the '93 when you get the C5 and don't worry about the money...its an investment in your health. Hold on to that moonroof GN. You only live once.

FWIW & IMHO:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=897784

Do a thread search if you want to. I will stand behind the term severe. There are threads on all of the corvette & Z06 forums regarding this subject.
And I did not say that all '01 Zo6's had a oil consumption problem, but I would guess it at about 35% or so.
And it had nothing to do with being driven hard, had something to do with piston &/or ring design and size tolerancing.

Wells... We are getting off rag93vettes point which was Affordability. '01 Z06 and selling his GN. If the '01 affords him to KEEP his GN...DO IT I say. Its a good car. IF '01s are littering the roadside then thats severe. The factory tolerences were loose not severe. Most race engines are built "loose". High RPMs and high compression = oil consumption. My GUESS would be 75%+ were driven hard right off the lot. It was the new bad ass at the time. Thats why people bought 'em.

rag93vette
I'm with ya I almost got rid of my gn for 1 last fall, my wife & I drove 1 last fall she fell in love with it , but we decieded to hold off untill she's out of school. but the day she graduates, bye,bye gn , hello Z06. we love our buick but it's time to move forward. yes the value of a buick is going up so you dont want to drive it vettes are cheap enough to daily drive, you can buy a vette low to mid 30's, any fun car this day & time will cost you that. but don't get me wrong I will always own a gn drive train powered vehicle. we will have a tag for the vette to say you think this is fast you should see my buick ! ;)

What's the Price of the '01?

The Cheapest I've seen is $29K and A LOT for $31K.

I've seen low mile '02's for $31.5K

A year newer and better car for < $2.5K more is worth it IMO.

FWIW & IMHO:
I don't believe that we are getting so far off of the original theme regarding affordability that the thread has lost anything of any consequence/value. And I did not advise to not get a '01, I said to keep the oil comsumption problem in check and verify that it had been taken care of, or verify that the '01 he is looking at will be fixed under factory recall so there is no exttra additional cost to him. Goes to affordability.
I did not say that your car had an oil consumption problem. I said that a lot of '01 Z06's had a severe oil consumption problem. Naturally some are different in that regards. Otherwise I would have said all. If the oil consumption problem was primerarily/mainly "being driven hard", the factory would not be standing up for the recall. And GM did admit to a oil consumption problem for the '01 Z06's. And I don't believe that it takes '01 Z06's littering the roadside to add any definition or character to the term "severe". "severe tolerancing": I never said that and I have never heard that term used in any manufacturing/quality envoiriment. It is gernerally tight or loose tolerancing, high or low tolerancing, bilateral and unilateral tolerancing, but not severe tolerancing. If it was me, and the difference was in any case keeping the GN, but getting an '01 Z06 now or waiting and getting a '02 Z06 at some later date, I would get an '02 or newer.

Originally posted by Wells
FWIW & IMHO:
I don't believe that we are getting so far off of the original theme regarding affordability that the thread has lost anything of any consequence/value. And I did not advise to not get a '01, I said to keep the oil comsumption problem in check and verify that it had been taken care of, or verify that the '01 he is looking at will be fixed under factory recall so there is no exttra additional cost to him. Goes to affordability.
I did not say that your car had an oil consumption problem. I said that a lot of '01 Z06's had a severe oil consumption problem. Naturally some are different in that regards. Otherwise I would have said all. If the oil consumption problem was primerarily/mainly "being driven hard", the factory would not be standing up for the recall. And GM did admit to a oil consumption problem for the '01 Z06's. And I don't believe that it takes '01 Z06's littering the roadside to add any definition or character to the term "severe". "severe tolerancing": I never said that and I have never heard that term used in any manufacturing/quality envoiriment. It is gernerally tight or loose tolerancing, high or low tolerancing, bilateral and unilateral tolerancing, but not severe tolerancing. If it was me, and the difference was in any case keeping the GN, but getting an '01 Z06 now or waiting and getting a '02 Z06 at some later date, I would get an '02 or newer.

Ok Ok already. Some of em leaked...some of em didn't. Some of em leaked bad...some of em didn't. Some of you would get the 01 and some of you would get the 02...let's quit splitting hairs and bickering and wait for the update on what he decided to do.

Wells, I totally agree. I'm aware of all the technical lingo with the tolerance specs. For the sake of typing I was relying on your common sense to get my point. I am anything but sensitive about this Z06...to me its just a 50k hammer...a tool. It is easily replaced. The GN is the one to be cherished. BlownZ...Z06s don't leak. No bickering here just a healthy debate between 2 MEN. Wells and I are still buddies...I respect his opinion.

It will be impossible for either of you to let the other have the last word. This thread will go on forever...I can see that now.

leaked, burned whatever. Did he buy the car?

Man didn't there was a limit to posts especially ones that make you click on 'em. Looks like the thread police has spoken.