looked at a 1986 with a "bearing Noise"

Xvetteowner

New to the V6 Buick turbo engine. Always wanted a GN. Found a non-top car with 76k miles. Does need a paint job. Price is $5500. However there is a squeal/bearing noise from the front water pump area( I think there) Its not a belt. It increases with rpms. Its not a knock. The car runs fine. This is not a stock engine so who know if its been street raced. I don't know were the weak spots are with this engine. Do you thing the purchase price is worth the risk? What would I need to spend to get a car not needing a paint job or having a motor problem? Thanks for any input.

Check the belt tensioner,bearing in the pulley might be bad.Shoot carefully,(i.e. safety glasses) some wd40 on the pulley see if the noise decreases.Obviously you will get some belt noise though.

Take the belt off and start it. If the noise is still there then it might be the trigger. If not then you have a tensioner, water pump, alternator, or A/C noise and go from there.

Dont forget the early '86 cars had power steering resevoir problems, was updated in later models. Would make whinning noise similar to low fluid levels.

Kevin.

tell the owner that you are a bit leery about the noise and then offer $5k, drive it home, and figure out what the squeal is.. it's probably noithing major- i can't think of anything internal that would do that, and about 10 things that bolt to the motor (crank sensor,water pump, alternator, PS pump, AC pump, belt tensioner, belt, etc) that will do it. none of them are major issues.

For a rust free car, even one needing paint, as long as there are no other major problems, then that price is decent. Don't let him being firm on his price be the only thing making you walk away.