long wheel studs

DCVING 6

what all is involved in installing longer wheel studs in the rear for draglites?

Originally posted by DCVING 6
what all is involved in installing longer wheel studs in the rear for draglites?

It depends on how long. I installed the GM studs (3" ?) and had to pull the axles. It wasn't a big deal and I got to change the differential fluid which hadn't been done probably since the car was new.

There are shorter studs that will work that I've read can be installed without pulling the axles. Never done it though.

Jim

I just did this myself. I put in some 3" studs and had to pull the axles. Honestly pulling the axles was probably easier than messing around trying to make this and that fit. If you need help let me know, im in your area.

Jamin

Originally posted by DCVING 6
Glenn,
You dont need the longer studs to run draglites. I ran Pro Stars all last year with the stock studs and the long shank lugs seen here. If you put the 3" studs on your car, you will not be able to use your factory lug nuts when you put your stock rims back on. The best way to go is to get this long shanked lugs from Summitt or Im sure Winners Circle has em too.

I got my long lug nuts at pep boys for my draglites. they are the 12mm ones just so you know, and they come in packs of 4. About 50 bucks for 6 packs which covers all four wheels.

Nick

ARP studs from Summit, 2.5" long, don't have to pull axles. Using McGard Drag racing open ended lugs, the lugs themselves are also about 2.5" long, the stud doesn't protude thru the lug, it's about 3/8" too short, but the tech says that is just fine.