Long Brake Shoes S-10

Texas gn

Went to Advanced Auto Parts at lunch wanting some 1985 S-10 long brake shoes for my GN. The part number is the same as what is on my Buick now (part #FR 514). Could anyone tell me what they are using, part number, ect? I have the wheel cylinders ordered and just need the pads. Thanks for your help!

Thanks, but why is everyone that I have talked to say (S-10 Brakes) if it is the same part number of the Buick brakes? Why would you not say “order 2 sets of GN shoes and only use the long ones”? It is just a little confusing I guess. The brake cylinders are different right? The S-10 pushes out longer then the buick.
Thanks

correction

Thanks, but why is everyone that I have talked to say (S-10 Brakes) if it is the same part number of the Buick brakes? Why would you not say “order 2 sets of GN shoes and only use the long ones”? It is just a little confusing I guess. The brake cylinders are different right? The S-10 pushes out longer then the buick.
Thanks

The S-10 rear cyls. have a larger bore than you current ones. BTW, must be S-10 with manual brakes to get the larger bores.

if you buy two standard organic sets i wouldnt throw the short ones away , and please do the right thing and return them as cores and not for a return so the clerk doesnt put the box with short shoes back onto the shelf.
put the 2 short ones back in one box with 2 of your old shoes , do the same with the other box and take both boxes back to the store as cores and get back your core charges

Absolutely! Thanks for the info! I will do that. On another note I was up late last night looking at my Summit catalog and noticed they have rear disc brake conversions for the G-Body for $499.00 standard and $549.00 crossed drilled. Has and one used these? How would they hold the car compared to the S-10 setup?

Just a note on correct terminolgy folks: the primary shoe is actually the shorter one. The longer shoe, goes rearmost on the vehicle, is called the secondary shoe.
I guess I'm kinda like the grammar police, huh?

Those shoes Cotton's sells, will they fit our cars with the stock wheel cylinders? Can you still hold a decent amount of boost with these shoes and the stockers?

Those shoes Cotton's sells, will they fit our cars with the stock wheel cylinders? Can you still hold a decent amount of boost with these shoes and the stockers?

I am kinda new to all of this too. However I went through my brakes a couple of weeks ago with the same issues. I replaced the shoes with the long ones and the s-10 cylinders. The cylinders are identical except the bores are some bigger for more power. Anyways I was talked into changing all of my old rubber lines going to the front calibers and over the rear end along with the rear cylinders. The difference was amazing! It stops on a dime! Before I was holding 5-7 psi and now 10 plus should be easy. Haven’t been back to the track yet to see what difference it will have on my 60 foot times…oh while I was under there I installed some air bags too. Give Brian a call over at GbodyParts.com and he will hook ya up:D

I am kinda new to all of this too. However I went through my brakes a couple of weeks ago with the same issues. I replaced the shoes with the long ones and the s-10 cylinders. The cylinders are identical except the bores are some bigger for more power. Anyways I was talked into changing all of my old rubber lines going to the front calibers and over the rear end along with the rear cylinders. The difference was amazing! It stops on a dime! Before I was holding 5-7 psi and now 10 plus should be easy. Haven’t been back to the track yet to see what difference it will have on my 60 foot times…oh while I was under there I installed some air bags too. Give Brian a call over at GbodyParts.com and he will hook ya up:D

I talked you into what would work for the best bang for the buck ;)

Rear disc

Absolutely! Thanks for the info! I will do that. On another note I was up late last night looking at my Summit catalog and noticed they have rear disc brake conversions for the G-Body for $499.00 standard and $549.00 crossed drilled. Has and one used these? How would they hold the car compared to the S-10 setup?

Cadillac rear brake setup... you can get this in the boneyard for less than half the money. Check the calipers for siezed up pistons, very common on those setups. You would be money ahead doing the Blazer brake upgrade, or if you have 16" wheels an LS1 upgrade.

I talked you into what would work for the best bang for the buck ;)

Well, when your inexperienced and hard headed like me it takes someone of your knowledge base to explain it. This way it eventually prevents me (and us new to the turbo buick world) from doing the same thing over several times…..which in the long run saves money. When it comes to brakes there is no room for errors. Do it right the first time because there might not be a second.:eek:

So with the new manual S-10 rear wheel cylinders and the long brake shoes, are there any issues with the rear brakes locking and sending the car ass end into the ditch? Also how much better can it stop with these 2 upgrades?