locking torque convertor manually

tsturbo

Really how hard is this on the convertor ? I hear everybody say that it is going to break it . Is that one pass 100 passes , 5 miles 10,000 miles . Is there anybody on here that has there chip lock there convertor ? thanks

One other thing my car feels really funny at 43 mph it feels like the convertor locks and unlocks or something like that . It just does not like to be driving in overdrive in the city . but it is only at like 43 mph . any thoughts . it did this before and after a dynotech rebuild and a new convertor . thanks

it sounds like a defective lock up solenoid or programming error in the ecm for lockup command.you can manually lock but when and how depends on the quality of the convertor.what type is it?

mine used to do the exact same thing at 49 mph. now it does it all the time.

i can't really see it hurting the tc all that much. its the exact same idea as dumping the clutch on a manual car. only insted of one big clutch we have a few smaller ones. the tc probably makes all the difference as to how much damage is done. also how you use it. i'm sure theres a difference between locking it when your crusing down the road, and locking it in 2nd with a 800 hp monster that can spin the clutches.

i do it all the time, have for 10k miles and havne't had a problem yet.

Is your mph bouncing? The needle on your guage? May be time to grease the cable, the ECM may see 41mph-43-44-42-44-42, ...lock, unlock, lock, unlock, etc. Art Carr does not recommend lock-up at WOT with big power. Asking for trouble. I don't know what power level is too much, I guess the vigilante multi-clutch is better at this, but even that has a limit.