Lock up problem?

Rocket Power

My car will not go into reverse without stalling. That means the TC must be locked up right? It does idle fine in drive but shudders when shifted at low rpm. This leads me to belive that it is locked in 2nd and 3rd as well. Can it be locked in rev and not 1st as they are the same circuit?

It's a new tranny with a TCS convertor. 1986 olds 442.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Unplug the plug on the side of the trans. If it still stalls there is a bind in the trans,for a new trans that is not good.

Steve V said:
Unplug the plug on the side of the trans. If it still stalls there is a bind in the trans,for a new trans that is not good.

Tried that already. It will drive in reverse, just really really fast and it isn't pretty getting it to go.

I think you have an internal prob,so it need to come out and apart.

Really, the only way it could lock up in reverse would be if the TCC valve in the pump was stuck in the applied position. This is not likely in your situation because that would also cause it to lock up in Park, stalling the engine.

Has the transmission done this ever since it was reinstalled or did it work properly for a time?

MeanBuicks said:
Really, the only way it could lock up in reverse would be if the TCC valve in the pump was stuck in the applied position. This is not likely in your situation because that would also cause it to lock up in Park, stalling the engine.

Has the transmission done this ever since it was reinstalled or did it work properly for a time?

It has done this since it was rebuilt 15kms ago. I changed the TCC solenoid this weekend and it did not help at all. I pulled the tranny and it is being sent back to the builder to get fixed.

Thanks for the replies