Little help

What is up my buick brethren. After many moons of being away from my turbo regal i'm trying to get back in the garage and get this thing going. I started rebuilding this car in high school and it's sort of been on the back burner. The motor was rebuilt completely. Polished crank, bored .30 over with new forged pistons. 3 angle valve job. Stock turbo was rebuilt. (i forget where i sent it). Remanufactured carb. new hei distributor. stock manifolds and piping. Kenne bell high volume oil pump with a repaired front timing cover.
I think that covers it. My problem is that the car seems to run darn rich. black exhaust at idle and slugish. I've only pulled it out of the driveway with no real road testing. I tried adjusting the idle mixture screws but to no avail even with them all the way in. Seems to me it's getting fuel from a different part of the carb. I was thinking of an aftermarket carb but not sure what would be best.
Also after the car warms up the oil pressure goes down to like 10 psi which I thought was weird with the kenne bell pump. No lifter noise or anything just scary having that low psi. The pressure does go up with rpm though. Maybe I need a different relief spring but it's been so long I forget which spring does what.

Well first off you posted in the SFI HA section. I'll see if I can get it moved to the B4Black section for you.

As far as the rich condition have you checked to see if the carb is set right? Sounds like the float may be stuck or trash is in the inlet causing the needle not to seat right. When you overhauled the carb did you put epoxy on the plugs in the bottom of the carb? They may be leaking and causing the rich condition as well.

If the oil pressure is rising when off idle then you should be good but the HV oil pump kit is not the best way to go these days. You literally can do a port mod of the oil pump passages and make the stock one work much better without putting extra load on the front cam bearing and gear. Here's the link to Earl Browns mods for the oil pump.

How to build a front cover/oil pump - TurboBuicks.com

What is up my buick brethren. After many moons of being away from my turbo regal i'm trying to get back in the garage and get this thing going. I started rebuilding this car in high school and it's sort of been on the back burner. The motor was rebuilt completely. Polished crank, bored .30 over with new forged pistons. 3 angle valve job. Stock turbo was rebuilt. (i forget where i sent it). Remanufactured carb. new hei distributor. stock manifolds and piping. Kenne bell high volume oil pump with a repaired front timing cover.
I think that covers it. My problem is that the car seems to run darn rich. black exhaust at idle and slugish. I've only pulled it out of the driveway with no real road testing. I tried adjusting the idle mixture screws but to no avail even with them all the way in. Seems to me it's getting fuel from a different part of the carb. I was thinking of an aftermarket carb but not sure what would be best.
Also after the car warms up the oil pressure goes down to like 10 psi which I thought was weird with the kenne bell pump. No lifter noise or anything just scary having that low psi. The pressure does go up with rpm though. Maybe I need a different relief spring but it's been so long I forget which spring does what.
the same oil issue happend to my car as wel as jase (flintbuickforlife) i think the both of us have been just dealing with it. someone else in the general section had that issue but it was just the pick up tube was loose. i really dont know whats up with mine...

oh, sorry for posting that here. I do have an 84 also. must have gotten confused.

The carb was a remanufactured unit from schucks auto supply.

I'll bet the carb main well is leaking. One of my Q-jets did that with the same symptoms. Taking the throtttle plate off and using epoxy to seal the main well plugs took care of the problem.

I'll bet the carb main well is leaking. One of my Q-jets did that with the same symptoms. Taking the throtttle plate off and using epoxy to seal the main well plugs took care of the problem.

like this...

Attachments

• jklh.jpg
    jklh.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 106
  • jh.jpg
    jh.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 97
Like that.
That's pretty much a standard now on HP Q-jets. And I had to go a step above that on my blowthu Q-jet and get screw-in's.

Besides using epoxy I also tap on the plugs lightly with a hammer and then use a file to cut them down. I've never had one leak after I've done this.