Liquid Intercooler water pump. This one?

2turboRX7

Think this pump is overkill for my twin liquid intercooler setup? Should flow just about 1 gal. in 4 seconds I'm guessing.

TIA

PUMP,CENTRIFUGAL,12VDC
Bronze Centrifugal Pump, Voltage Rating 12 VDC, Maximum Flow 1080 GPH, Maximum Current Rating 8.5 Amps, Water Flow @ 0 Foot of Head 1080 GPH, Water Flow @ 10 Feet of Head 450 GPH, Water Flow @ 15 Feet of Head 30 GPH, Water Flow @ 5 Feet of Head 810 GPH, Inlet 3/4 Inch NPTF, Outlet 3/4 Inch NPTF, Shut Off 23.0 Feet, Type Straight, Length 6 3/4 Inches, Height 3 3/4 Inches, Width 4 Inches Grainger Item # 4P062
Price (ea.) $127.60
Brand SHERWOOD
Mfr. Model # AT120
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 5.95
Usually Ships Today
Catalog Page No. 3264

Or a gallon in 30+ seconds - with centrifugal pumps like this it all depends on the back pressure, as your specs show. Unfortunately I can't think of any easy way to calculate what your back pressure will be. However, it should be pretty easy to measure it. Tee a pressure gauge (60 psi should be ok, maybe 100 psi if your water pressure is really high) into the end of your garden hose and plumb it into your intercooler system as the "pump", at your reservoir. Run all the supply and return lines up to the intercooler as you would normally, to get the correct pressure drops, and collect the return in a gallon jug so you can time how long it takes to flow a gallon. Try a few different openings of the supply valve on the hose, and for each, time the gallon of flow, and note the head pressure. Now you can compare your flow/head pressures with the pump specs (5 feet of water head back pressure corresponds to 2 psi so you can see how centrifugal pumps really, really don't like back pressure, and maybe a 15 or 20 psi gauge would give better accuracy). I don't know what kind of flow rates people are using, but my off-the-top-of-my-head SWAG for an upper limit is that you want to replace the intercooler volume in a few seconds, give or take a factor of 10, and from here with my eyes closed :)-)) it looks like your intercoolers hold 2 gallons each :)-)), so I'd hope for at least 4 gal / 5 seconds or 2880 gph. Okay, that's huge, but 300 gph should be easy and somewhere between those two should work. Anyway, do the hose measurements and you'll be much better equipped to go pump shopping.

Will this help?

Does this help? Looks like Spearco centrifugal pump is flowing around 6-8GPM.

Here are the Intercooler specs. Remember there are 2. Guess I might have some testing to do.

Performance rate calculated with 30 psi boost, 400 ° inlet temperature and 100 ° or 45 ° cooling liquid. When used at lower boost levels, temperature reduction will be less.

Part No. Cooling Liquid °F CFM Temp Out °F Pressure Drop
2-231 45 450 116 .05
45 700 148 .10
110 450 165 .05
110 700 191 .10

Sorry, Kieth, I kind of forgot about this thread (and am midway through a bout of bronchitis, hack, cough, cough :)). The specs you posted are for the airflow side of things, not the water side, so don't help choose the pump. The 26 oz volume of each is nice, that is much less volume than I assumed. I don't know where the 6-8 gpm for the spearco pump came from but that would flush each intercooler in 26/128 gal / 3 gal/min = .07 min or 4 seconds which sounds like a good start. I assumed you run the water in parallel so half the pump flow through each intercooler. The second pump you list over at http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46842 looks much better than the first centrifugal pump at higher backpressures. See how the output falls off much more slowly with back pressure? Doesn't mean centrifugal pumps are bad, you just have to be careful to match them to the load. You give the specs as:

PUMP,UTILITY,12 VDC
Portable Utility Pump, Motor Voltage 12 VDC, Motor Current 6.5 to 10.0 Amps, Water Flow @ 1 Foot of Head 300 GPH, Water Flow @ 10 Feet of Head 240 GPH, Water Flow @ 20 Feet of Head 202 GPH, Water Flow @ 40 Feet of Head 96 GPH, Water Flow @ 30 Feet of Head 150 GPH, Water Flow @ 5 Feet of Head 258 GPH, Cord Two 10 Inches Leads, Shut Off 46 Feet, Compact, Self Priming Pump with Flexible Impeller, AC/DC Motor Grainger Item # 1P580
Price (ea.) $64.60
Brand DAYTON
Mfr. Model # 1P580

Hopefully the backpressure will be low enough to keep the flow over 200 gph, which is 3.3 gpm or about half the size of the spearco pump. Would probably work but could be a little small. If your water hose test shows the backpressure to be low enough you could use the centrifugal pump but you need the data first.